Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Last year I did the 5me to 6mge swap. I had trouble with finding a compatable distributer setup until a kind MK2 owner let me know online that I would have to use an early 5mge distributer for it all to match up.
The only one I could get had a stuffed vacuum advance. My mechanic told me I could live without it and I have with all working very well indeed.
1: what difference will I notice if I get it fixed?
2: Is it expensive?
3: does anyone have an early 5mge disributer with a mechanical vacuum advance working for sale?
ta
ant

·
Registered
351 Posts
BTW you are looking for a dist. from an '82 5M-GE.

Edit: in the US, anyways. I don't know what year you'd want in Aus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Thanks for the info.
Still does anyone an idea if it is worth fixing the vacuum advance or not?

I am going to do a search of Australian dismantlers and contact ones that have 5mge ma61 supras or mx73 cressidas as they both got the 5mge here. The cressida seems to be much more plentiful, I might be in luck.
ta
ant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here is the real stretch of the friendship.
Does anyone have a part number for the 82 5mge distributer? A local dismantler said he may be able to help if he has a part number.
ta
ant

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If someone here can;t give ya the part number, another route you could use is to call a toyota dealer parts counter... they can give ya the number...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'll go look at mine tomorrow and get a part # for ya.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Is a replacement vacuum advance diaphragm available from Toyota. Replacing the vacuum advance diaphragm would allow for increased spark advance under part throttle cruising conditions. This would help your fuel economy and improve your throttle response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah good, the diaphram can be bought seperately? Great I will give Toyota a call. I could certainly use an improvement in fuel economy. The price of fuel went up during Bushes war for oil and went down again after for a week and then back to war prices again. :cry:
Thanks for all the info guys.
ant

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I'm not sure if the diaphragm can be purchased seperately or not. If Toyota doesn't sell it seperately, you might try an import parts store that stocks Beck-Arnley parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mechanic has already tried to get the diaphragm seperately from Toyota and they would only sell me a whole distributer for a very high price. I have just e-mailed Beck Arnley. Thanks for the info, I have never heard of them.
ta
ant

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Beck-Arnley is a well respected name in the import parts business. The quality of their replacement parts is very close to OE in some cases and at a much lower cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts