Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when my car ran for a little i noticed a knock on the exaust side in the valve area, my dad suggested it was the valve clearences, that made the most sense to me, but when i looked in my haynes manual they completly skip the 5M! :x they show how to do if for the 7m and 4m(mk1 engine?), so is it close to how they do the 7M, whats the clearence susposed to be?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
our 5m-ge motors have non adjustable valve clearances, they have hydraulic lifters, so that is why they are not in the haynes manual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooooh sorry :?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe your clicking comes from worn out valve lifters, if it has been running hard on poor oil, the camshafts grind in to the valve lifters over time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i find the whole ticking weird because i had the head cleaned and rebuilted when i had the engine out :x

You can pull your lifters out and flush them. That usually helps out with the ticking.

christian
howd i do that? just take off the lifters and clean them??

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
howd i do that? just take off the lifters and clean them??
First of all, take them out and see if you can compress them by hand. They shouldn't budge. There is a hole at the top of the lifter. If you stick a paper clip or similar object in there and push in, it should free the lifter so you can compress it. They work kind of like a spring. You squish it and it springs back. With the paper clip in place it should compress. Next, immerse them in oil and do your paper clip trick and keep compressing them over and over. This will flush them out. If any of the lifters could be compressed without the use of the paper clip, this flushing may bring it back to normal operation. If any of them stilld don't work properly after this, replace them.

Christian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts