Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights behind the fan controls do not work. Can anybody tell me how to get it apart so I can change the bulb(s)?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm having exactly the same problem on my '82. The vent, fan, etc. panel is dark at night and I can't figure out what's wrong. All the other lights work fine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope Dimmer works fine. Dash lights and even the cigarette lighter are fine. That is why I bet it is just burned out bulbs. My problem is that the TSRM does not seem to tell me anything regarding this.

·
Registered
861 Posts
yep. Same problem with mine. I've removed the face plate for the controls, and I have a GREEN bulb back there! WTF? Anyways, it's got a 1/4 turn fastener which I turned the quarter turn... and SUCK! There it went. Right back into the dash. So, now I have to remove more of the dash to retrieve the bulb.

Just my luck. This will be the project for tomorrow, and then to buy bulbs for the car. Dome light is burned out, so are the door lights. All other lights work perfect.

Doesn't sound like anyone has any definitive info on it though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Fixed It!!!!

My A/C controls light up once again. The bulb was burned out and was actually really easy to fix.

When I figured out how easy it is to fix and the number of people who said they have the same problem I took a bunch of pictures to show everyone just how easy it is.

So here is the process:

Just like changing the radio pop off the ventilation sliders.

Then undo the screws and take off the ventilation controls cover.

Once you have the cover off you will see the clip that holds the clear plastic in place on the left side and the green bulb over on the right side in the middle of the cross. Gently pry back the clip on the left using a flat head screwdriver or the like and pop out the clear plastic part. This will let you get to the bulb. The bulb comes out with a simple tug.

Here it is with the bulb removed.

As you can see the bulb is a small 12v 1.4 watt grain of wheat type with a green cover.

Simply slip off the cover and put the cover on the new bulb. I was able to get the bulb from Advance Auto Parts (they only had a 2.1 watt bulb but I thought brighter would not be a bad thing) but I am sure most auto parts stores will have it or you can always go to Toyota.

Then push the new covered bulb into the socket and replace the clear plastic "light manifold?".

Then put the cover back on and replace the screws.

See... It is super easy. It didn't take more than 10 min. once I figured out what was going it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Thank you !! I always wondered what that plastic "X" was for. Light Manifold. I like the term.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nice pictures!

Fixed mine the exact same way. Wish I knew that the bulb came out "with a simple tug" before I made that 1/4 turn. It sucks having to rip out the stereo to retrieve a bulb.

So, after all was said and done, I had to re-construct my entire dash, but it's all fixed now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts