Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MkII Celica Supra has always been one of my dream cars to own and drive, so naturally I have a couple of listings bookmarked and would visit those sites every now and then to see if it's been sold. Most of them in very good condition in the 10k-25k range with 100k km, haven't found anything cheaper. The urge to just buy one would come and go and I would sate my appetite by just looking at the listings.

Until today, when I came across one listed for 29k in pristine condition! With a full service history and owned by a Toyota garage owner, a non-smoker who took care of it VERY well (also stock everything). It's an 83' model with the 5M-GE engine with a manual trans. The insurance for it is also manageable.

Is the price right? Should I bite the bullet or go for something cheaper in the future. The Celica isn't that popular so it would stay listed for a while.... The car being just 40min away from me doesn't help either. If I were to get something cheaper the work and cash I would have to put in would eventually add up to the price of this right?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
boot.jpg
Engine bay.jpg
interior.jpg
interior2.jpg
interior3.jpg
interior4.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
The MkII Celica Supra has always been one of my dream cars to own and drive, so naturally I have a couple of listings bookmarked and would visit those sites every now and then to see if it's been sold. Most of them in very good condition in the 10k-25k range with 100k km, haven't found anything cheaper. The urge to just buy one would come and go and I would sate my appetite by just looking at the listings.

Until today, when I came across one listed for 29k in pristine condition! With a full service history and owned by a Toyota garage owner, a non-smoker who took care of it VERY well (also stock everything). It's an 83' model with the 5M-GE engine with a manual trans. The insurance for it is also manageable.

Is the price right? Should I bite the bullet or go for something cheaper in the future. The Celica isn't that popular so it would stay listed for a while.... The car being just 40min away from me doesn't help either. If I were to get something cheaper the work and cash I would have to put in would eventually add up to the price of this right?
View attachment 15896 View attachment 15897 View attachment 15898 View attachment 15899 View attachment 15900 View attachment 15901 View attachment 15902 View attachment 15903 View attachment 15904
Prestine condition doubt that you will find another one like that

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where are you located? It is a Euro model, right? Tach uni is metric w/o no oil pressure but economy gauge instead, rear vents instead of lights.

The car looks like brand new and esp the interior is incredibly clean. However I stumbled across the year (1983) that does not match with the bumper / indicators, and the mirrors don't look stock as well.

Given the number of survivors and its state, it is pretty unique I'd say.

@Billy: I bet the currency is Swiss Franks ;)

·
Registered
13,129 Posts
Ahhh - well in that case, for the US market the asking price is a little high for an obviously modified car. We would expect something like that to sell here around $20k USD as a rough estimate but likely not see the $31k USD they're asking currently. That said, it is not in the US market and the pool of vehicles to choose from are likely far more limited, so not a fair comparison.

Cheers,
BillyM

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Very nice car! But as mentioned, not stock. Lots of nice little touches. The later front end, an aftermarket front lip and aftermarket mirrors too (ones I've never seen before actually!). I wouldn't be surprised if the later front bumper is the result of an accident btw. Could easily just be one where only the bumper was damaged and needed to be replaced, but I'd take a good look at the sheet metal underneath the bumper and in the wheel wells and under the battery etc. Look for creases or evidence of repainting in those places. Again, if the repair was done right its not a deal breaker, front end damage is actually the best place to have it, but you could whittle the price down if you find something off.

·
Super Moderator
8,414 Posts
If you got the money and you want it go for it? A lot of cars are over priced, but someone buys them anyways. I mean look at that $300k Datsun that sold a few months back...

Honestly it looks like the car has been repainted so I would inspect closely..

·
Registered
827 Posts
Did they come with different radios overseas? I have never seen a radio surround like that. Maybe aftermarket?

·
Founding Member
6,436 Posts
Is that a dash cap fitted over the old cracked dash pad or did they just replace it with a Celica dash? Love the sphygmomanometer bulb tho. I wonder if there's an artery in your lower back that could tell your blood pressure while you drive? The story of being owned by a Toyota mechanic makes sense as somebody like that would have access to a plethora of used and aftermarket Toyota parts and could have cobbled it together. Don't get me wrong, it looks in the pictures like it was very well done, but they don't typically bring the big money unless they are very low mileage, all original, trailer queens.

For some value guidance, try:

The only problem with the Hagerty guide is they didn't even do a half-assed job of describing the condition ratings.
I mean seriously - "The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent." - That's just not useful at all. I'll take a stab at a better description below.

#1 condition implies that its as clean underneath as it is on top, that you could park it in museum and use it as an educational reference for "this is how they came out of the factory." #2 condition implies that it looks and drives like you'd expect if you could time travel into the past and buy it as a 1 or 2 year old certified, pre-owned car. You can easily bring home a car show trophy. #3 condition implies that it looks and drives like a well cared-for 5 to 10 year old used car. Maybe its got a few aftermarket parts, a few paint chips, but everything still works and there's no real damage to anything. #4 condition implies that it looks and drives like a 10 to 15 year old used car that at least wasn't abused. It might have a small dent and maybe a couple of minor issues like maybe the power antenna doesn't work, but it still runs and drives OK and while you won't win any car show trophies, you could still enjoy it as is in between repairs. The guide doesn't go down to a #5, but that's the category into which the ones with rust holes fall because they need restored.

You'll note that the price spread between condition categories is huge and each is sort of the median for the range. That's because its extremely difficult to purchase a Supra in one category and do sufficient restoration work to bring it up to the next category, particularly virtually impossible to take a #2 car and make it a #1. You could repaint one maybe, but you can't get new trim. There's just no parts for these cars. For example that's probably why it doesn't have the correct dash pad in it.

This particular Supra is hard to value. It may look and drive like a #2, but you have to discount for all of the alterations. Or maybe you like the custom mirrors and would pay extra for them? Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Reactions: 6644422255

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did they come with different radios overseas? I have never seen a radio surround like that. Maybe aftermarket?
I have owned two Supras, my first was a 1984 model and my current one is a 1983. As far as I can tell, this console is the stock one that the cars were delivered with as we, at least in Germany, have a smaller radio cut out, also known as "DIN" slot.

As for the other parts on the subject car; I think the mirrors might be stock with an aero shroud added to them. After all, a previous owner has added the front and rear spoiler and most likely the fender flares as well. I can't remember ever seeing a stock Supra in Germany with fender flares and rear spoiler.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is that a dash cap fitted over the old cracked dash pad or did they just replace it with a Celica dash? Love the sphygmomanometer bulb tho. I wonder if there's an artery in your lower back that could tell your blood pressure while you drive?
As far as I can tell the dash pad looks stock to me; at least I couldn't think of any differences at first glance. The air bulb exists on all Euro Supras I have seen, although they look different on mine, could be a better replacement.

I had to smile when I spotted the slightly faded color of the interior door handle though. Looks so familiar :)

As for your description of condition, I think my 1983 would classify somewhere between 3 and 4, probably more a 4. This car I would definitely not push out from my garage (if I had enough garage space)! I am sure if you would go to any Toyota meet here locally, you would get a trop price, probably first in MkII Supras (as they aren't many around anymore as well)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, didnt expect so many replies. Kinda just poured it out and left the site. Here's the listing BTW 1983, 30k CHF
Gorgeous car but you'll have to help us Americans understand what values we're working in - Euros, Dollars, Pounds, etc?

Cheers,
billyM
@BillyM Like @Zoe guessed it's Swiss so the conversion would be around 33k USD

Where are you located? It is a Euro model, right? Tach uni is metric w/o no oil pressure but economy gauge instead, rear vents instead of lights.

The car looks like brand new and esp the interior is incredibly clean. However I stumbled across the year (1983) that does not match with the bumper / indicators, and the mirrors don't look stock as well.

Given the number of survivors and its state, it is pretty unique I'd say.

@Billy: I bet the currency is Swiss Franks ;)
The price level is high esp in southern Germany.

Here is another 1982 model, quite nice but not fully complete and far away from the state of the car the OP mentioned.

1982 Supra for 12.000 €

and another for 12.000 €, this time a 1985 model.
@Zoe yep, it's a Euro model, from what I know the Swiss and Austrian models are different/under powered due to the emissions regulations.
The two listings you shared are somewhat similar to another one I have saved for the longest time. 1983 for 15k CHF or 1983 for 20k CHF. I seem to only have found 1983 models.

Very nice car! But as mentioned, not stock. Lots of nice little touches. The later front end, an aftermarket front lip and aftermarket mirrors too (ones I've never seen before actually!). I wouldn't be surprised if the later front bumper is the result of an accident btw. Could easily just be one where only the bumper was damaged and needed to be replaced, but I'd take a good look at the sheet metal underneath the bumper and in the wheel wells and under the battery etc. Look for creases or evidence of repainting in those places. Again, if the repair was done right its not a deal breaker, front end damage is actually the best place to have it, but you could whittle the price down if you find something off.
If you got the money and you want it go for it? A lot of cars are over priced, but someone buys them anyways. I mean look at that $300k Datsun that sold a few months back...

Honestly it looks like the car has been repainted so I would inspect closely..
@SupraFiend @SilverMk2 @pdupler 1983, 30k CHF According to the listing, it's free of rust and has never undergone any rust repairs but yould could never trust them. After sleeping on it, I probably would just have it bookmarked and look at it 15 times a day. Having it in such a nice condition kinda steers me away from wrenching on it and making it the way I want 🤷‍♂️.

As always the urge has come and gone. Thanks for all the replies and insights.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah the Swiss often have the 5MG engine, due to emissions as you say.

Given the choice of the three cars you mentioned, I would go with the blue one for 20k, just based on a very quick glimpse.
(Maybe I should sell mine for 5k and get the blue one? Half the mileage and probably half the issues....)

Where are you located if I may ask?

·
Founding Member
6,436 Posts
The Supra dashes had two different grain patterns and faux stitching around sharper edges to simulate the appearance of a sewn leather-covered dash. The Celicas had a more plain dash like the one shown. Or at least they did here in the USA market to help differentiate the higher priced Supras from the lower priced Celicas.

We got the lumbar support here too, but the bulbs can break and it just makes sense to replace it with one from a blood pressure cuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,414 Posts
It's been known for awhile that the Euro cars had a combo of Celica and Supra interiors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts