Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Viper Keyless Remote Entry system model 412V for Christmas. Has anyone ever installed one of these? The instructions aren't really very good. I do have a factory wiring diagram, so should be able to find the relays and such.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...............

I do have a friend who has a degree in electrical engineering; I'll have to find out what kind of wine he likes!

Bob

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?Section=BE&P=87

the factory computer is behind the drivers door, underneath the panel where the rear side seat belt is.

I have done alarm installs on my previous supras, but it's been a lot of years. As I recall all of what you usually need is accessible from the front foot wells.

two posts of mine from the way back...

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?6291-stock-alarm-saved-me&highlight=alarm

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?8414-My-new-alarm&highlight=alarm

will

·
Registered
785 Posts
I assume your factory alarm still works, but you just need a remote to open the doors? If so, this would probably work okay for you, but you'll need to tap into the oem system to bypass its own settings. Personally, if you're going through all that hassle to install this, I'd just strip the oem system out and install a complete alarm system, you'll most likely do less work than installing a complete alarm just trying to set up a way to bypass the oem system when you hit unlock on the Viper's remote.

Its been decades since I had to do a factory alarm and aftermarket remote setup, iirc, I hated it and it took all day to trace wires and screw with all the settings, all because the customer was too cheap to buy a replacement oem remote! I guess it was slightly cheaper to just do it this way than buying the factory remote, but really not by much. Of course, trying to find a remote to work with the mkii's alarm today would be impossible without another one, as I think you have to cut the pc board inside the remote to match the code of the brain, but that's another story!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the input. Firstly, my '84 does not have a factory alarm, so that is not a factor. And I don't care about having the horn honk or remote start. I would like the parking lights to flash if I can puzzle that out. I guess I have just gotten lazy over the years having daily drivers that have a remote door lock/unlock on the key fob. Well, my '19 Sorento now just has a button on the door handle that I press to unlock the doors. Anyway, I saw that the '84 that sold for $21K listed that it had remote keyless entry installed, and I asked for the
Viper unit for a present. I assumed it would just somehow hook into a master module for the factory power door locks and be simple to install. Apparently not so. The instructions for how to hook up the wires say such things as "Door unlock #87 normally open(input)"???? I have the factory electrical wiring diagrams, but I have no idea which relay or solenoid they are talking about. So just hoping that someone had already done this job and could offer some insight as to which wires go where.

Thanks again for the responses. Bob

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

#87 would reference a standard automotive relay (I'd assume)

in your case I would just wire the alarm to the power door lock switches...

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=67

All you would need for the Brain box is power, ground and door lock outputs, oh and the transceiver if separate unit. I would think that adding the shock sensor wouldn't add to much to the job but then you might as well do the full install (horn, light out put, proximity sensor, paging function, ect)

will

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, for the second or maybe third time, It IS NOT AN ALARM! My car does not have a factory alarm, and I do not wish to install an alarm. I wish to install a keyless entry remote door lock/unlock. Ya know, a button on the key fob that locks or unlocks the doors. Made by Viper. NO ALARM INVOLVED! NO REMOTE START INVOLVED. I don't want the horn to sound. I hate it when people hit their remote door lock and the horn sounds! My Kia just makes a subtle beep, but I don't even care about that. I can hear the locks locking or unlocking without any other noises. I would be OK if the parking lights flash, but I don't want any noise. I was just wondering if anyone else had installed the Viper keyless remote door lock/unlock system and had any information as to which wires go where. Thanks for all the suggestions. Bob

BTW, does anyone know why this new format of the forum has large dark gray circles obscuring the right hand side of my screen?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I installed a no name $14 version. I have an 83 with no factory remote.
I used my box to ground out the lock or unlock coil in the door lock relay. I am not sure how the viper triggers, supplies a voltage or grounds out, the locks. You will want to take the negative side of the respective coil to ground with the Viper unit. That is how the factory switches trigger the door locks. If the Viper unit supplies a voltage then you will need another coil to wire in that will then be able to ground out the lock or unlock coil.
Mine has a trigger for light that I just tapped into the hazard wire to power it so all of my flashers go off when locking and unlocking. That wiring will be under the dash. From the sales literature it looks like your unit has secondary outputs you can use for lights. It is sales literature so I am not sure about that.
I am struggling to find a manual online for the unit. The closest thing there is to a master relay is the door lock relay. You will have to tap into the wires. There is no plug and play.
Perhaps if you put up a photo of the instructions that might be helpful for us who are trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ok, for the second or maybe third time, It IS NOT AN ALARM!
No need to shout... I call it a alarm for conveniences sake (call it a remote unlock, brain box, whatever...), but the advice is the same. You will need to interface the door lock control relays..

and while the 85 is different in some aspects the diagram above and the other link previously posted should give you someplace to start

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
1580576600794-137913729.jpg

83 specific

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments. I am on vacation right now so do not have the instructions that came with the unit with me. The '83 wiring diagram looks similar to my recollection of my '84 diagram, but of course I do not have that with me either. Looks to me that the Viper box should be wired to the "Door Lock Control Rly." rather than the "Door Lock Rly." because you need to control the actual solenoids. I am just not sure which of the Viper wires does this function. When I return home I will investigate this further and post the diagrams here.

Thanks again, Bob

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Looks to me that the Viper box should be wired to the "Door Lock Control Rly." rather than the "Door Lock Rly." because you need to control the actual solenoids.
If you do this it will not work as you expect it to work. The Door Lock Control Relay has a timer in it that provides power to the lock for .2 seconds that is about all it does which I suspect is the reason it is just a box in the diagram. If you do it your way it will only lock the door if it does anything at all.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think any of this is much help until I can scan and post the instructions that came with the unit. I won't be back home until 3/11. I will post the information at that time. Thanks for the responses. Bob

BTW, I still have the gray discs obscuring my screen???????????

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the diagram again, I agree with Darrow. The "Door Lock Rly" is what both the key switches and the switch in the driver's side armrest are wired to. I just have to figure out, maybe using trial and error, which wires from the Viper control unit need to be used. I believe this will just be a matter of staring at it for a while and puzzling it out.
Also, thinking about it, maybe I do indeed have a factory alarm. Anyone know how to determine? I purchased the car in 1987 off a three year lease, and thus do not have the original factory "window invoice".

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If it has the factory alarm, you can check by rolling down the windows, locking the doors from the inside, holding the handle up while closing the door (so as to engage the lock), and reaching in through the open window and opening the door (without using the key essentially) this should engage the alarm (if it has one).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to check it out when I return to the States and take the car out of storage. I have never really thought about a factory alarm, and don't really care, but it would be nice to know one way or the other. Thanks for the input. Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts