Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Can't remember off hand why it does this. It does this on both of my Supra's as well.

You'll also see the needle twitch a bit when you roll the window down & it gets to the bottom. Does the same thing when you roll it up. Also does this when I close the Power Sunroof on the MKII.

I've also seen this same thing happen on domestics, esp Chrysler products.

Personally, I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
i believe it has something to do with the alternators in mkII's sucking. They put out quite a measly amperage (from what I've read) and it doesn't take much to impact the charging of the battery.

I have this in my 82, btw.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
As far as I know, what you're seeing is the load on the battery as the turn signal relay opens and closes...or in the case of the window, with the motor putting a load on the the electrical system.

Unfortunately the stock alternator in the MkII does suck...however several people on the forum have upgraded to a higher amperage unit that will keep up with head lights, fog lights, windows, A/C blower, stereo etc.

Try doing a search on the forum for alternator info. That's my next mechanical upgrade...I don't want to go through another winter with that crappy stock alternator under the hood.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i hate to say it but all supras i think do that. mines been doing that since i got it, my roomate just bought a supra and it do's it also. i just did the alternator swap from the 7m on to my 5m and i think nothing has change. And i'm pretty sure the alternator is good so i really dont know what to say. i wanted to buy a after market gauge also, (volt) but it would just make me unhappy to see it tick all the time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i wonder if it has anything to do with the sotck wirering?
as there may be too much current going through the tiny stock wire to the gauge, causing voltage drop to the voltmeter?

you may find the battery is still at 13.5 while this is happening, dunno havent tried, but may be the case.

i also have this problem with the volts flicking backwards and forwards with the indicators on.
sometimes volts will go to 12volts.

my volt gauge reads 13.8 approx when driving, which seems a little low.
what do others get?

I am contimplating the alternator upgrade, to a 100amp sw20 one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant believe I am not the only one and still no real solution.
The alternator upgrade is too costly. I just wonder if you can use the capacitor as a storage power to cure the problem?
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
what exactly is the problem though? Your gauge moving when you think it shouldn't be? Every stock mk2 I've ever driven has done this, it does not cause any ill side effects. Its simply reflecting the electrical drain on the system. Maybe it would be less noticiable with a better alternator but its not doing any harm. No offense to anyone but this is why manufactures use dummy guages (on or off) or skimp on adding extra guages that we may consider necesary. Real guages show real conditions. Conditions that may not make sense to the average consumer in every situation and lead to lots of complaints and questions for the dealers. Your car is fine man, don't worry about it :wink:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
yeh! but run your hi beams, rear defroster, and heater blower on hi
simultaneously to fry your alternator quickly. i avoid using rear
defroster for longer life, both mine and the alt's. and staying away
from hi beam/hi blower is a good idea too. mk4 alt will do the job.

StanS

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
won't an alt from a 2J swap in?

-Andrew, whos also looking to upgrade his alt.

·
Registered
793 Posts
this happens with almost any vehicle. My Durango does this, and it has a 135amp alternator. It happens in my truck, and I have a 120 amp Mean Green alternator in there. It also happens on my friend's new Volvo A6. All it's doing is showing you the load of your equipment.
If you don't want to see this happen, just install a stiffening cap in you the supra, it'll go away...

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is normal behavior. I can't believe that this post ran across 2 pages. This is a sign that the VOLTMETER is working. Unless the needle is dropping below 12V each time it blinks don't sweat it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I can't believe you dug out an 8 year old thread just to say "I can't believe". But now you've confirmed it; I believe it; and we can let her slip quietly back in to the abyss.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Maybe this is a reason to discourage people from using the search function. <just kidding>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts