Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I dont have a 2JZ yet and I probably will not for a good while, but I still like to research what I need so for the most part I will be prepared when I am finally ready for the swap. I was talking to my friend Dan a while back about his IS300 with some of our friends. He was pushing around 500rwhp at the time. I was looking at his motor and realized the VVT-i engravement on the Cam cover, so I asked him who he had tune the VVT-i for him seeing as it is not an easy task.He replied by saying, "Oh, I deleted it. Its useless once you get over 600hp" then we started laughing at him and said, but you don't have 600hp, so he said screw us, then he left, then I got to wondering what all is needed to delete VVT-i.
VVT-i is adjustment of the timing on the intake cam if I'm not mistaken, so would deletion of VVT-i be as simple as just getting a non VVT-i intake cam or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to get a non VVT 2J

·
Super Moderator
8,259 Posts
Why would you delete something that is beneficial? You don't see Honda guys deleting their VTEC do you? Most of the time I've heard of this done its because of the limitations in cam selection of standalone capabilities. Most of which aren't issues anymore. Besides there are plenty of non-VVTI 2J in the world.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This isnt about why to and why not to, this is about how to. you know just for knowledge purposes, more than likely, I will find a non-vvt-i 2jz and the vvti and non- vvti 2j had the same rods. the 1uz and 3uz that came with vvti came with weaker rods. the vvti 2j being weaker is an untrue myth.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Not to sound like a jerk but Why figure out how to If it won't work? You would need a standalone. Once you disable it the ecu is gong to freak. The VVTI is activated with oil pressure and a solenoid to change the timing. Stop the engine from doing that and it's not gunna run like crap. Might be able to use a non vvti ecu but like billy said you'd have to lock the cam. And plug the oil passage. Maybe a non Vvti ecu would help.

·
Super Moderator
8,259 Posts
The way I have always heard it done is to use the non-vvti cam and cam pulley in place of the VVTI hardware. The rods are different part numbers. All the early 2JZ use p/n 13201‑46040 the later ones in IS300 and GS300 are 13201‑46061.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
you know just for knowledge purposes, more than likely, I will find a non-vvt-i 2jz and the vvti and non- vvti 2j had the same rods. the 1uz and 3uz that came with vvti came with weaker rods. the vvti 2j being weaker is an untrue myth.
The VVTI 2JZGE is the one that got the weaker rods compared to the non VVTI 2JZGE, the 2JZGTE's internals are the same regardless of VVTI.

VVTI left, non VVTI right

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to sound like a jerk but Why figure out how to If it won't work? You would need a standalone. Once you disable it the ecu is gong to freak. The VVTI is activated with oil pressure and a solenoid to change the timing. Stop the engine from doing that and it's not gunna run like crap. Might be able to use a non vvti ecu but like billy said you'd have to lock the cam. And plug the oil passage. Maybe a non Vvti ecu would help.
You never had a moment in life when you wondered about something, so you asked, then someone told you, then you said to yourself,"Oh, Now I get it", then you moved on with your life???? This is basically what it is. When it comes to cars, motors, and electronics, i can never know to much information. And what is wrong with standalones???

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically, if you had a pre vvti 2j and a post vvti 2j, and you had nothing better to do so you took the intake cam and cam gear, ecu, intake manifold, and throttle cable off the pre vvti 2j, and put it on the post vvti 2j, theoretically speaking, it should remove the vvti?

·
Super Moderator
8,259 Posts
The EFI is quite different between the VVTI and non-VVTI. One is distribute less ignition the other has a distributor. The only reason people use to do this was the lack of VVTI cams. There are several available these days.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
And what is wrong with standalones???
I don't think he was saying that there is anything wrong with standalones, they are just very pricey and usually require professional tuning to get everything up and running good. Any 2JZ owner would love a standalone, when they can afford it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts