Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm trying to locate a short shift lever housing for a W58 tranny that came out of an SC300. The one that came with the W58 I purchased places the shifter too far back for my use so I'm faced with either cutting the old one and rewelding or locating another one to replace it. Ideally, I'd like to put the correct one in.

While I'm at it, I'm also looking for a mechanical speedo module to replace the electronic one that is in the W58.

Any leads on the two items above are appreciated.

RW

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
RW,

Which shifter housing do you have? There are supposedly four different housing for the W58. The measurements from the front of the tranny case are, 18" 19" 21.5" 22". Something like that! The MKII Supra usually comes with the 18" housing I believe. I also have an SC300 W58, and the housing on it is likely the 22" unit. It is just about even with the back of the black drive-shaft dust cup.

Do you have a picture of what you have? I am looking for a 19" housing, myself. I have an 18" and a 22" housing.

Regards,

Carlos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the 22" version

Carlos,
Yes, I have the 22" set-back shift lever housing, SA63 in your image. It's quite a bit too long. I borrowed a correct shift lever housing to take a picture- this is the one I'm looking for...

Unfortunately, the guy I borrowed it from won't part with it. :sadsmilie so I'm faced with finding another or cutting the existing one and rewelding. If I cut and weld, at least I have the correct original to use as a pattern for the welding jig to ensure everything is lined up correctly. Ideally, I'd like to have a drop in replacement.

RW

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
RW,

That piece appears to be the 18" piece from a MA61 Supra. Those should be plentiful, assuming you can find junk W58's. I have one but will not part with it until I find a 19" replacement...

Below is a piece from a SC300(?) and a MKII Supra...

Carlos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these interchangeable?

I'd rather not buy another W58 just for the shift lever housing. Are these shift lever housings interchangeable with any other Toyota transmissions?

RW

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey i have an 18'' shifter plate and shifter yoke i dont need i have reserched the shifter positions a lot i had a thread on here 6 months or so ago about it, all plates will fit any W57 W58 you need the corrasponding yoke as well i needed it longer for my conversion i got a new plate and yoke from toyota cost heaps for brand new so my old one is not needed flick me an e mail if its what your after and we can sort something out

[email protected]

Some pages that may be usefull,

http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Tech/Toyota-boxes.php
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html

If your looking for part numbers to get new parts from toyota try this
http://www.toyodiy.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts