Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished painting my valve covers today and I'm stumped on what to do.

When I painted them I didn't mask off the letters because I thought it would have been to difficult to get the paint between the tape so I fugured I would just re-sand them after I was done. I like the look of the raised lines and letters being polished but I'm debating whether or not to keep the letters painted because I think that looks pretty cool to.

So what do all of you think?

..Mike..

·
Registered
60 Posts
it doesnt look bad. but if i were the one doing it, i'd take a small brush and paint the letters to match my wires and what-nots:good:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Let the paint dry for a while so not to attract small particles and then sand the letters off. They will have a different look from the lines though.

You could also take a very small amount of reducer and put on a q-tip and lightly rub the paint off the letters. Make sure the swab is not soaked so as to drip or cause a run on the the part you want to keep.

Jim

·
Registered
322 Posts
cider and pies draw thousands... they look cool, but i'd sand the letters down, and if it looked weird against the lines, id sand the lines too. they could rust after tho right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the way it looks now, honestly. Kind of unique. I say keep it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree with most to set off the letters from the background either by sanding and polishing or adding a different color.

BTW there's no need to worry about rust on our covers - aluminum can take the elements.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone.

As for rust, their going to get a good layer of clear coat before I install them so rust and tarnish shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
WTB: Rusty Valve Covers.
Will pay 200$ plus shipping.

Need ASAP

Thank You

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I like the idea overall.If I had the time, I'd want to have contrasting letters myself....but I can also see where someone's coming from about being "unique" as it is now.

...How'd U sand/prep the aluminum and is that just High temp paint over top once it's prepped??

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Re: Valve covers

Hey Garrett...

I'll sell u a couple of Valve Covers...for $200. INCLUDING Shipping, LOL

So is that an offer U can't refuse???, ....Hmmmmm????

I'm serious if U are.

D

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
what you could have done was used a small brush to put some automotive grease on the letters, then after the paint dried, wiped off the grease, and voila, polished letters. but, since its too late for that now, i would sand off the paint and work up to a polishing grit, and sand the raised lines as well so everything matches. in fact, thats how i did mine. it doesnt look bad at all the way it is, thats just my personal preference.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
...I just finished painting my valve covers So what do all of you think?..
Nice work, and creativity - I prefer to sand all the letters, and then clear cote them (hi temp clear-cote)
Remains looking better, and easier to clean.

...they could rust after tho right?
Alum doesn't oxidize like ferrous materials do. It would be good to learn the difference between materials, and their properties.

·
Registered
472 Posts
aluminum does oxidize but its not a reddish/brown rust like iron or steel. not really noticeable on aluminum it just kinda gets hazy.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I said "like" ferrous material - alum does oxidize - but it's more of a white powder.

·
Registered
472 Posts
yeah. just clarifying for anyone else out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts