Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used fusible link for the headlights. This is the one that attaches to the positive side of the terminal and has one wire coming out fusible link.jpg of the top and the other two looped together.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got one from Napa for like $10 for 10 feet or something...way longer than I needed but comes in that size. Just tell them the size of that headlight relay wire which I believe is 10 or 12 gauge on those fusible links and then they will size the fusible link accordingly. I think the rule of thumb is the fusible link wire gauge is like two sizes smaller than the wire it's protecting. Something like this -> https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL784692

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
;) Yes. You can make your own fusible link. It's a special wire designed to MELT at a certain temperature. Usually color coded. Pink, yellow, red, green.
Take the cooked one into your favorite parts store. Get the right wire and crimp your own up. Do NOT use normal wire.

I also suggest NAPA. Get your temp sender pigtails there as well. (They are crispy!)

GOT OIL???????Paper air filter was twelve bucks on fee pay! I don't want the U clean-'em kind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and I agree on making my own for the headlights. Dos anyone know what the two wires that looped together an what they are for because those are the ones that actually melted and that is why I was
20210118_091109.jpg ac clutch wire.jpg
20210118_091109.jpg looking to buy the whole plug.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I have one but was hoping to keep it as a spare... I guess I can part with it for the right price aha

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
The photo above( with the wires duties indicated )reminds me of General motors early cars wiring!
Blue wire=runs almost everything in a Supra. Purple wire= runs
everything on a GM car.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
3,026 Posts

Reactions: 82TURBOSUPRA

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Probably the most heart breaking car fire I've seen was a '57 Chevy Belair Sedan family owned since new, burnt due to fuse wrapped in foil...instead of finding the source of the short...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I'm not so sure about this.
Fusible links are like slow blow fuses. They will handle the overcurrent for some time before they burn/break. They have a longer lenght to dissipate the energy.
Normal car fuses are fast acting fuses, so they will burn before any heat is generated in the wiring.
So I think a properly sized fast acting fuse is even safer than the links.
I think the fuseable links were integrated in order to support the temporary inrush of the dc motors (pop-ups, window motors, locks and solenoids).
I'm sure a chart exist somewhere between link size and fuse Amp.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
You just have to replace them with the right technology. The wire ones like on a Mk2 are old school technology. Newer cars use FLM, FLD, FLB etc. that kind of look like a cross between a large fuse and a electrical plug. I converted my car over to these years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts