Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I see them pop up from time to time on ebay, IIRC the last one went for over $300 (granted it was mint)

I wonder what it would take to make reproductions?

Will

·
Registered
62 Posts
Saw one listed on eBay about a month ago, seller was asking $500

Not up any more, so it actually sold for that much?

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
For reference ONLY note the molding lines match the late tailights

Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive tail & brake light Bumper

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
AND the one I should of kept...went to a good home in the PACNW...

Gas Rectangle Electronic device Machine Font

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
me neither, but i do recall that one I think, IIRC you are right it sold for north of 5 bills...

I remember thinking to myself i should buy it and make copies at the time to help defray the cost, but decided againts it.

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
I bought a few yrs ago either Rinkya or eBay dont remember...the green lights lite up!!

PAC North West (Washington State) aka Area 51

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a few yrs ago either Rinkya or eBay dont remember...the green lights lite up!!

PAC North West (Washington State) aka Area 51
wow id love to find one,the shape looks a bit different then a Supra or Celica middle section i wonder how it looks installed, so was intended for the Supra?

Area 51, i can hear the X-Files music playing in my head now lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have one I purchased off of ebay installed on my car. It's got some many cracks in the lens probably caused by the sun. Really hope someone can make some reproductions.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one I purchased off of ebay installed on my car. It's got some many cracks in the lens probably caused by the sun. Really hope someone can make some reproductions.
can you show me pics, are the cracks like on the surface or internal?

·
Registered
133 Posts
can you show me pics, are the cracks like on the surface or internal?
Hey I got your PM as well. Sorry, but won't be selling this light ever. Stays with the car. Ill post these pics publicly in case anyone else wants to have a look.

If you want I can give you detailed images of the light itself and some measurements. The outer part is all one piece. On the inside is a plastic layer. The black stripes on the top and bottom are just painted over the red lens.

I'd be open to letting someone borrow it for possible reproduction if I could find someone trust worthy.

Anyway, here's the cracks. They are the same exact type of cracks on my tail lights as well. There's a million of them haha & they seem to be on the inside or something I'm not really sure.

Mk2 Supra Center Tai Light Stress Cracks by Shyzah, on Flickr

Once the tail lights are on, the center of the center light is pretty dim since it uses the two license plate lights to illuminate the inside. The light looks bright in the photo, but the reflection on the bumper is what you see thru the human eye.

A newer design that mounts the bulb behind the garnish would be better. I've seen some people make their own center lights and they didn't turn out too bad.
1983 Toyota Supra Center Tail Light Garnish by Shyzah, on Flickr

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey I got your PM as well. Sorry, but won't be selling this light ever. Stays with the car. Ill post these pics publicly in case anyone else wants to have a look.

If you want I can give you detailed images of the light itself and some measurements. The outer part is all one piece. On the inside is a plastic layer. The black stripes on the top and bottom are just painted over the red lens.

I'd be open to letting someone borrow it for possible reproduction if I could find someone trust worthy.

Anyway, here's the cracks. They are the same exact type of cracks on my tail lights as well. There's a million of them haha & they seem to be on the inside or something I'm not really sure.

Once the tail lights are on, the center of the center light is pretty dim since it uses the two license plate lights to illuminate the inside. The light looks bright in the photo, but the reflection on the bumper is what you see thru the human eye.

A newer design that mounts the bulb behind the garnish would be better. I've seen some people make their own center lights and they didn't turn out too bad.
1983 Toyota Supra Center Tail Light Garnish by Shyzah, on Flickr
I have one but its new old stock / unused and the reason i have been looking for a second to try and make copies, as with it being NOS i really dont want to take it apart and still not even sure if im going to put it on the Supra, the plate is two parts were the front section with the rear is melted together is the best way i can explain it so it would need to be separated, it can be be taken part then put back together but id rather do it with a used one, I am going to be working to make a LED kit with boards that can be installed into the tail lights with sequential and was thinking the same about having the delete plate light up but not with light but a LED panel, the cracks in yours are like the same ones i see in the front turn signal lenses,

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have one but its new old stock / unused and the reason i have been looking for a second to try and make copies, as with it being NOS i really dont want to take it apart and still not even sure if im going to put it on the Supra, the plate is two parts were the front section with the rear is melted together is the best way i can explain it so it would need to be separated, it can be be taken part then put back together but id rather do it with a used one, I am going to be working to make a LED kit with boards that can be installed into the tail lights with sequential and was thinking the same about having the delete plate light up but not with light but a LED panel, the cracks in yours are like the same ones i see in the front turn signal lenses,
Oh alright. Id be down to letting you borrow it & take it apart but do you have a plan mapped out for how youre going to go about duplicating it? I let someone borrow it locally years ago and they kinda put it on the shelf and forgot about it for months until I asked about it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts