Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem on my 5mge. I had a leak and replaced the water pump thinking that it was leaking behind it. Turns out the leak is behind the water pump block housing. So I think that makes it the water bypass pipe. It may have rusted through. I don't think there is any other point that would cause the kind of gross coolant runoff from that spot.

see here part#16268
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198510_TOYOTA_CELICA_MA61L-BLPQFA_1603.html

Looks like I have to move the power steering pump to reach the 2 bolts at the back of the water pump housing.
My question is what else needs to be removed. Or are the other mounting bolts under the exhaust manifold and intake manifold reachable from underneath. I'm hoping that they don't have to be removed. Can anyone comfirm one way or the other?

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is a hard line that runs the full length of the motor and around to a rubber hose to the thermostat housing.. I would check it first to see if it rotted through or if you can just replace the gasket there..You can reach them without removing the manifold and intake it just makes it a little more tricky.. I would just go ahead and pull them both and make it easier on yourself.. Its going to be a trick pulling it out with the head on regardless becaus of the cam towers being so wide but it can be done.. Good luck on it.. Hope this helps..

Edit here is the only spot the TSRM mentions it and it is after the removal of the head and everything..I have only messed with it when the motor was out or the head was off..

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
To move the pipe you need to remove the exhaust mani or try and do it from underneath removing the manifold is easier. There is two bolts under it and one on the intake side along with the two on the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts