Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15,062 Posts
well, since i plan on running 20+psi when i build the new 7m, i was thinking of using this. however, i would set it up with a hobbs switch to kick it on prolly ~10-14psi. that way it wont be on all the time and since ill have my turbo timer set up by then it will always idle a few mins before shut down and the water wil be off so it shouldnt be a problem. now, the issue with that will be i will have to find a sensor to install on the water reservoir so that when it gets low it can turn on a light so i dont go boosting without any water and melt something. i could easily mount the warning light on the dash in plain veiw.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
oh, and if you spray too much water you can create a condition known as hydro lock, which is where your engine will lock up as water cant be compressed. depending on the rpm this happens, it may only stop the engine cold. however, i have seen rods get bent, and even break and put holes in the block. so if you use this, be very careful. it has many benifits, but can be very harmful if its not used correctly.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
yes, you could spray the i/c with water as well, however i personally am going to set up a co2 system to chill the i/c.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
yes, thats true norbie, but like dave said there isnt that big of a space when the valves are closed and the piston is at tdc. however, i only mentioned it due to all the websites showing how to make a home made system. if the nozzle is too large and too much pressure, it "could" happen, and id be surprised if it hasnt happend to someone already.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
its pretty simple. i got a used fire ext. for $15 shipped off of ebay. i will buy a valve for it. then run a 4an line from where i mount the bottle to a nitrous solinoid in the front of the car, then run a line from the solinoid to the sprayer. the sprayer is nothing more then a hard brake line bent the shape you want it. then the 2 ends of the oval are fittied to a t fitting. you can use compressio nfittings or flare the ends like im goinf to do for a cleaner install. then you drill tiny holes about 1in apart all the way around. i havent decided on the size of the holes yet. they will be pretty small. then i will wire the sloinoid up to the cruis control power button since im scrapping the cruise control. it will spray the i/c with co2 when i hit that button. some people use n2o. but thats too expensive in my book. it cools the i/c so low its like haveing an i/c with 150% effeciency or more. it drops the intake charge dramatically in some cases. im going to use co2. the bottle i got was a lil bigger then a 2 liter bottle. im gonna mount it in the rear drivers quarter panel out of site. hehehe.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
yes, we were talking about that. then ob asked me about the co2 i/c sprayer setup i mentioned and i gave him the details. sorry i hijacked the thread, but i was answering a question i was asked.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
well, the bottle shouldnt leak. most fire extinguishers use co2. anway, i am mounting it in the rear drivers side compartment where the jack is. im gonna lay some dynamat on the body so the bottle wont get the body cold and cause the paint to fade or chip or something. plus, if it leaks, it can get to the atmosphere through holes in the bottle of the quarter panel. i will pull the rubber plugs in the bottom.
william

· Registered
15,062 Posts
well, i am gona put a nitrous bottle valve on my extiguisher bottle. it shouldnt be very much at all to fill it. when i get the valve ill have it filled to see how much it costs. i will be runnign a -4an steel braided line from the bottle to a nitrous solinoid then a -4an steel braided line to the sprayer. all parts are available cheap if you know where to look.
william

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.