Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 5me water pump in good shape. mine makes a really bad noise and leaking ample amounts of coolant.

its so hard to find one that fits because they are is a 1/2 inch to short.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
ra64man, that guy that works for a Toyota dealership and gets us discounts, that guy that has his own vendor section, that guy that had a really nice 2 tone blue Supra, with Konigs on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, i will shoot him a pm. thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
whats the difference between oem and aftermarket water pumps? My oem went out in the middle of no-where and got one from the auto parts store and it has worked like a champ ever since. and that was like 6 years ago.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i cannot find one that fits for an 81, that's my problem :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Water-Pump-ASC_5760399-P_54_R|GRPCOOLAMS_581457220___

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got one from auto sense and the pulley mount was 1/2 inch to short so I'm nervous about buying another one especially online.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same problem, I think the one you have that's a 1/2 inch too short is for a 1979 4ME Supra.
I ended up going to RockAuto.com for my 81 MK1 Water Pump
I think this water pump below from RockAuto for an 80 (4ME) and an 81 (5ME) will work for you, and it's on sale too and they ship FAST!
BECK/ARNLEY
Part No: 1311972
Regular Price: $43.79
Closeout Price: $12.93
SAVE 70%
Good Luck!
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got the 12$ water pump from rock auto. it works great.
next day i go to pass a car and POOF! temp gauge falls and huge white cloud in and out of the car again.. pull over and there is 6 liters of coolant on the road...

it appears that a coolant line coming off the intake manifold to heater switch exploded and coolant went everywhere, i fixed it then and there but anyone else have these random coolant exploding adventures? this is my 3rd problem and im almost tempted in to replacing every damn line on this car... i know it is made in 1981...

·
Registered
311 Posts
MY coolant line coming from the back right side of the block to the heater exploded. Further investigation resulted that oil on the hose corroded it and caused it to fail. So just check all your hoses make sure they are not corroding out.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
12$$ is a hell of a deal.

The hoses aren't too horrible. I replaced pretty much all of mine last year. I don't like getting stranded.

For the 5m I paid about 30 or 40 for the suicide hose and the other one next to it. Can't recall the price on the 2 main hoses. For the 5m set up its about 100$ for the 3-4 hoses that take care of the heater system. Half the hoses on mine were xx years old. Probably better to buy new hoses than to get stuck some where and have to anyways. OEM hoses last for years. Saving 5$ at schucks or autozone probably not worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright, thanks for the info.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
From experience, and learning the hard way, I've come to replace all the hoses if/when I have to replace a water pump. Rules out pretty much everything else short of a heater core going bad, or my dumbass forgetting to install or tighten clamps (which hasn't happened... yet).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts