Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

I have bunch of yellowish wax on my strut towers but I've also noticed some in the seams inside the hood. Kind of looks like the weird cosmoline I've seen on VWs for when they're shipped over the ocean. You can easily scrape it off just like hardened wax but in some spots it's taking paint with it. I think it's really ugly and I don't understand why you would rust proof inside the engine bay and nowhere else. Was this from factory or done aftermarket back in the days before I was born? VW/Audi does this to undercarriages for shipping over saltwater but maybe it's some Fargo style "TrueCoat" dealer option. Anyone have removal tips?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can't help much on the removal, as I've opted to keep it on mine. Like yours, mine is in the engine bay and hood cavities, but it's also inside the inner fenders, jack/antenna areas, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Looks like Cosmoline.. try on an area that cant be seen PB Blaster then carb cleaner??

Some have used bug and tar remover, others have tried Charcoal Lighter Fluid ?? Even oven cleaner...

Just be mindful of fumes and plastic/wiring close by

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been using a "safe for paint" solvent which has been working well, and then scraping very lightly with a plastic scraper. Unfortunately, some of that wax is really embedded in the paint (which on my vehicle at least, is pretty thin) and so some has chipped off or when rubbing it off, takes paint with it.

Kind of regret going down this road. I think the engine bay looks a lot nicer now but...came at the cost of some paint chips. I wouldn't recommend going down this route unless you want to fully respray the engine bay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been using a "safe for paint" solvent which has been working well, and then scraping very lightly with a plastic scraper. Unfortunately, some of that wax is really embedded in the paint (which on my vehicle at least, is pretty thin) and so some has chipped off or when rubbing it off, takes paint with it.

Kind of regret going down this road. I think the engine bay looks a lot nicer now but...came at the cost of some paint chips. I wouldn't recommend going down this route unless you want to fully respray the engine bay.
Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Founding Member
6,724 Posts
Yes. I went through this with a car that had been Ziebarted. There was in fact a reason to coat stuff in the engine bay, but you're not going to like it. It was to give the customer a sense that they were getting a good deal. The customer can't see inside the cavities where the stuff did the most good or even much of the underside of the car, so people sort of left the shop feeling like they might have gotten ripped off. However the customer CAN see the engine bay, so the applicator was instructed to coat a few obvious areas under hood to make the customer feel more confident that they actually got something for their money.

But everyone expects to look under your hood at a car show today (at least here in the U.S. they do). So I once undertook to remove that shit from an otherwise spectacular car. I knew I'd have to repaint the engine bay, but that was the least of my worries because I had the engine out for a 7mgte swap anyway. I tried every suggestion that I could find on the web, but the final solution was just to scrape off as much as possible with razor blades and flat xacto blades and then get the last little bits with acetone-soaked steel wool because it seemed the least poisonous stuff that would dissolve it. That was by several orders of magnitude the most tedious restoration task I've ever done and I've done some really loathsome tasks. I've resolved that I'm not doing that again.

Reactions: MNMk2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts