Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so I am one who is known to just get wrapped up in whatever project I am doing and not put on safety glasses. Well about a week and a half ago I was working away and grinding some metal and got some in my eye, I just thought it was the usual thing, flush it out and move on...
Nope, the irritation came back wednesday and was soo bad nothing I could do would help. I had to go in.
I go get looked at and they pull a piece of metal off of my eye about the diameter of your average ball point pen...but thats only the beginning.
Last night and today I had an even worse irritation and HAD to go back in....
There is another spot on my eye. I go in and they say they have to use a micro-deburing drill (looks like a pen with a tiny drill bit on the end).
Cause there was RUST in my eye...yes, rust had started to form from the metal removed earlier. After about 20 min of drilling/deburring they say they have removed all the rust. Now I am on eyedrop to keep it disinfected and clean and am wearing a eye patch until it heals.

So long story short, GET THOSE SAFETY GLASSES ON guys (and gals)even its just a quick project or quick cut/grind cause it only takes once and you never know when the next little thing might be something much more...

vision is priceless.

Being 19 I have a long future ahead of me and want to be able to see during it..

·
Registered
599 Posts
wow, this post hit home.
I was at work in Detroit Mi....graphic designer for GM <--------A BIG F,ING LOL !!<---------
anyway, I was putting together a picture frame (safety glasses hanging right there) the spring clip launched out and nailed me in the eye, like you mentioned no big deal at first...later in the day, my eye started to get irritated big time. Went to the eye doctor later that day,,,,they took fragments of metal out of my eye, no rust yet !!........weeks later, I developed a cataract.....long story short, I now have a plastic lens in my right eye, about 75% blind in that eye.

Good luck, visit your eye doctor more so than not for an update.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES.................

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
i had to wait for 2 LONG freaking hours at emergency room, was drilling under my car at HOME, next day went to work n i was replacing some bushing (truck was falling apart in rust), i told my former that smthg felt in my eye, nothing serious. as soon i got home, took a shower, an my eye was hurting me a lot.

then at the hospital, they took a couple small pieces with that pencil bit, next day they send me to eye physician, gave me pills and eye drops, didnt work for two days.

all the paperwork went thru workers compensation, should not go, but the bill was $500 and change.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, the glasses are a good idea. I have a couple of old pairs from dad's wrenching days....so uncool, they just have to be worn.

Had a similar thing happen while making a skateboard ramp when I was 13...jigsaw splinters, you get the idea.

Work provides two pairs off some pretty expensive head phones every year. I take the old pairs home and use'm in the garage and give the others to friends.

I must admit, I look pretty dorky while wrenching, or other tasks around the house. Dont bug me much though....seen some pretty sad results from accidents that could be prevented

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Seeing that blurry spinning drill bit that close to your eye is a real scary thing right? I had the same thing happen to me cutting off a exhaust.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
ive gotten metal in my eye before. hell, i think every time im under the car i get something in my eye. ive always been able to get it out myself. ive had a piece of metal in my eye once that i didnt realize was there until a few days later when it started to irritate me. i took it out and i was fine. id say that i probably only wear safety glasses 25% of the time, if that. ill probably never learn until its too late.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't do a lot of cutting yet. I'm normally knocking dirt off the car into my eye or something like that, no metal haha. But at work I started to wear my glasses while patching tires cause I got tired of rubber bits flying in my eyes. Nothing dangerous but it got really annoying really fast. I think I'm gonna keep my goggles around more often haha.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found that its much easier to remember to put them on if you leave them out in plain site, like on the workbench or something. Hanging them up somewhere or putting them in a drawer in a toolbox and you just forget about them.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
well, its not that i forget about them, as much as when they get in the way, i take them off. its just gets annoying constantly taking them on and off that i just say screw it. like i said, its guaranteed to bite me in the ass.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got impaled in the eye with a piece of aluminum. I was wearing contact lenses which stopped nothing. The chunk basically staked the lens to my eye. I used tweezers and got it out with the lens still in place. Now I keep 3 pairs of safety glasses in my garage so I can always find one.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its also DEFINITELY worth the time and money to go out and buy a set that fits and feels really good.

I have a set now (finally found them again). That after about 5 min, I forget they are on, which is awesome.
The more comfortable they are the more likely you are to keep them on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
jeeze scott lol, figured after that year at skills you wou.d have understood the concept of safety glass's. lol you shoud go back and tell mr. hortan see what smart ass comment he says

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jeeze scott lol, figured after that year at skills you wou.d have understood the concept of safety glass's. lol you shoud go back and tell mr. hortan see what smart ass comment he says

I was actually considering going in there tommorrow with my eye patch and super blood shot eye (like all the white part is red) lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was actually considering going in there tommorrow with my eye patch and super blood shot eye (like all the white part is red) lol
ha, he would probably shit a brick and start giving you a lecture on how you never listened to anythign he was teaching regardless of the fact that we could probaly teach the class lol

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the pain you had to go through, but a priceless lesson learned.
I usually always wear prescription glasses, so I also got some prescription, OSHA-approved safety glasses, WITH the removeable sideshields. I wear them at work all the time, even though I work with plastic. Some plastic parts are blown out with compressed air, and it only takes one little shard to find it's way to your eye to ruin your day. Better safe than sorry.

Even though I use my glasses for work, I always bring them home. I've taken to using them whenever I'm doing extensive undercar work, or working with anything spinning or pressurized. I've also started using hearing protection, and it's a good feeling to know that I'm protecting my senses. We started a lot of new safety stuff at my job last year, and all of those safety habits are rubbing off on me in a good way. Always use your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Heck, sometimes I use safety goggles OVER my safety glasses, just for that added measure of safety (like around wood saws).

NO JOB IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN'T FIND THE TIME TO DO IT SAFELY.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As an eye doctor, this thread is priceless. Scott: good lesson learned. Rust will be present if left overnight. Thats 100%. But drilling it out should not hurt. Two drops of proparacaine a couple of minutes apart and you don't feel a thing. How many drops did your doc use? The drops only last 15 minutes but that should be plenty of time to get rid of the rust ring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Daniel, that contact lens probably saved your eye. Penetrating injuries almost always result in an internal eye infection that devastates the eye. Alot of people have been wrongly educated about contact lens wear in industrial settings. Of course safety glasses are what you need, but contact lenses don't melt onto the eye with welding and they provide at least a very minimal proctection from flying debris and chemical splashes. Many an eye has been saved by contact lenses but the margin of error is small. Wear safety glasses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts