Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive got 3 40mm italian made webbers from a friend of mine. i was trying to look up more info on them so i can get a good idea of what they are worth. im gonna use them on a high comp.6m. anyway, the writing on them is

CARBURATORE
WEBER
BOLOGNA

TIPO 40DCOE 149
No. c5 (or e5) (dont remeber off the top of my head)

so if anyone knows a site i can look this up on id appreciate it.
thanks.
william

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
From the ae86 guys, and experience with my buddie's bmw 2002 with dual webers, sthe mikuni's are the way to go. THey tend to have issues with heat and vaporizing the gas. Makes it run funny. Good luck tho.

Christian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
is the weber company still making carbs??

if they are, id say emailing them and asking would be your best bet :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
talked to my buddy with the bmw. He's done a lot of research on the Webbers. According to him, if they're in top notch condition, theyre worth ~250 each. Good ~200. OK around 150-200. And crappy(need rebuild/missing parts) ~100. Contact http://www.piercemanifolds.com/
They are the N. American distributors for Webber. They carry all the rebuild kits, jets, etc..

Christian

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I think Paeco still sells stuff for Webers..... www.paeco.com They say the DCOE carbs are "primarily a racing carburetor" you might give them a call.

HTH
Nick

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are in really good shape however they will be rebuilt before i use them anyway. from what i understand the italian made ones are harder to come by and im plenty happy with the ones i have. now just to make the manifold to mount them to my p&p 5m head. after my vacation ill have a spare 7mge to tear apart and start on a 6m with the 85 5m pistons 1mm over. after the block and head are decked it should be over 10:1 comp. and with cams and my 6-1 header it should rev really well. hopeing for at least 225rwhp on the motor. shouldnt be hard as the datsun z guys have made over 300rwhp on the motor. i think the carbs will make a big diference over the fuel injection. i know the throttle response will be great. :-D

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Are the throttle shafts made of brass or steel?? If they're brass then you've got a set of the early production DCOE's. Woo-hoo! Weber Carburetor Company was originally based in Bologna, Italy where they produced original equipment carbs. for Italian made sports cars like Ferrari, etc.. The production market later spread into the European sports car arena and catered to Lotus, Astin Martin, and Jaguar. Weber carbs. were also produced for numerous aftermarket conversion kits which were manufactured in the Weber Carburetor plant in Spain along with Weber fuel injection systems. The DCOE series carbs. were designed exclusively for racing applications and are quite complex with many numerous internal and interchangeable parts. The DCOE tipo (type) 149 to my knowledge wasn't an OE carb., but I could be wrong. The no. e5 sounds like a bad number. Perhaps 5E or 5C is what is stamped on your carbs.. The type number 149 should indicate what application the carb. was manufactured for. The no. 5C (?) I believe refers to a list of tuning parts that were used for that particular 149 application.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot to write it down so i listed everything off the top of my head. only thing im not sure of was the e5 or c5. the 5 might have been first. i sent you an email this morning with the exact info off of them. and yes, the shafts are brass if i recall correctly.
william

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see, i knew that c5 didnt sound quiet right. :p
william

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
C5's fly overhead around here every so often. The sound is unmistakable and in a whole class of it's own. :shifty: Hehe! Just kiidding!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Then again, if you tweak those DCOE's with the right parts, they will surely howl at the moon and leave plenty of ricers in awe. :lol:

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, between that and the 6-1 header. it will probably be quite loud. hopefully a straight through resonator and muffler will keep the exhaust in check. im still wondering what the growl from that header is gonna sound like. the rd has a nice deep mellow growl.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats right, hopefully ill get enough for my red car i might have enough left over to get the extra 7mge block bored, decked, hotanked, etc.... and get the pistons so i can put it all together aftere i get a car for the 7mgte swap to go into. now, i need to figure out the ignition, after looking closer at my 5m looks like the distributor just might clear. now, can i use an msd 6al box and scrap the stock ecu all together? or would i need an 82 distributor with vacum advance for that?
william

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Those sidedrafts should sound quite mean. I've heard an L28 with sidedrafts, and it gave me goosebumps. Sounds awesome.
BTW, William, did you ever pick up that carby manifold off ebay? Last time I checked on it, it was going for some ungodly price.

Christian

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nope, didnt buy it. another list member got the second one and put the measurements and some pics in the files section of the yahoo list. i will be makeing one soon. ive already got a template of the flange the carbs will bolt too. my friends dad will make it from 1/2in aluminum when i get the template for flange that bolts to the head. and i found a linkage kit that comes with all the parts to hook up tripple side drafts for ~$80 new. all i have to do is make the towers and drill the holes for the bushings. the manifold isnt gonna be as hard to make as i first thought, however it will cost a little more but not too much. when i get the first one made ill post pics and see if anyone else wants one.
william

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The MSD 6A is a hot unit and would work well! You could probably modify a 82 vacuum advance distributor to trigger the spark. 8)

·
Registered
138 Posts
or you can get a DLI (distibtorless igniton system) i forget the webpage but there is a company that makes them for the 5m and 7m

1 - 20 of 46 Posts