Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See post 44 on page 5 for important update!

First of all, I wish to say thank you to everyone who has posted their projects and for giving advice to those who seek it. I have finished re-building my 5mge and is now purring.

Now I can focus on my interior enviorment. I started with the rear armrest panels. This only took me a weekend, and I offer up this info in case anyone else feels the need to complicate their's as well.

The previous owner had glued on a piece of carpet to cover the tears.

First, remove the panel

Remove all the staples holding the fabric and vinyl.

Remove the fabric and vinyl.

I used marine grade vinyl available from the local fabric store. 3M makes a decent spray glue, but Wilsonart does fine as well (Home Depot or Lowes).

Be sure to leave enough around the edges to wrap around to the other side.

I decided I wanted to go with black vinyl instead of the blue.

This was the trickiest for me. This bar had to have the fabric wrapped around it before it was glued down. I ended up laying it over the top, then folding it over where the bracket goes to avoid any wrinkles.

Once the excess is trimmed from the bracket, it is time for glue.

The edges get handled the same way the vinyl did.

Ended up with a nice product.

This is how it looks installed.

Repeat for other side.

1 can spray glue $10
1 yard royal blue felt $5
1 yard black marine vinyl $13

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If you used a heat gun on the upper part you would have no wrinkles in the corners

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
just want to warn you, you will get bubbles eventually. I hope not but I have seen many people attemp this on other car and it bubbles when it is hot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
neat clean work.

can I have your old material please?

seriously.
I just pulled it out of the trash can for you. PM me if you want me to send them to you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very nice work....was the oem fabric in bad condition? instead of the blue fabric you put on? but very nice work
The oem fabric was just not what I wanted to look at while inside my car. I spend more time seeing the inside of my car than the outside, I had no choice but to make it appealing to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice work! :thumbsup:
Keep posting your projects ....very instructive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice work! Now I know what to do for when I get my car... Thank you alot.You going to do the whole interior like that?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Nice work - the blue "felt" reminds me of when I built a poker table. Seriously.

Where did you get the material?
In my neck of the woods- I've used "JoeAnn Fabrics" for blue felt (poker table top), elastic strapping (map pockets rebuild), and elastic cord for (seat-back net rebuilds). And - coming soon - new/restored hatch carpeting using thread purchased there also (had to match the TC color).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jo-Ann's Fabric is where I got all my material. They have a pretty decent selection of the marine-grade vinyl. Be sure to pick up a little flyer at the door if you're planning something like this because they usually have a 30 or 40% coupon in it. The blue is felt, just like a poker or pool table.

I do plan on doing the interior in the same fashion. I would like to keep these projects confined into 1 or 2 days so that anyone who wants to tackle a project like this can know that they can get it done over the weekend. I am working on the door panels right now. Whole new mess of problems in that. I have finished the driver's door panel, but the passenger side is really damaged so I am having to use some fiberglass the fix the pressboard. I will post up those pics when I am done with both.

Window tint is definate!!!! I have the car in my garage right now while I am working on it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am still working on the passenger door panel as I ran out of time today. As promised, here are the pics of the driver's door restoration:

This is what I had to start with. Note the electrical tape covering the top of panel.

Panel taken apart

After removing the fabric, trace out where the vinyl ends on the pressboard. This will aid in placement of new material.

Note the traced out line.

Reinstall board with all the plastic clips in place and put tape over them to keep them from moving. This is important as the adhesion process allows no wiggle room.

Cut out the vinyl to approximately the same dimensions as what was removed. Apply the glue and carefully lay it into place. Working slow at this point is crucial.

Turn panel over and spray more glue around the perimeter. While it is drying, take some time to make some cuts so that it can wrap around the curves.

This is where attention to detail pays off. Fold over the strips so that they do not overlap. This will allow good adhesion from the two mating glued surfaces.

Now we have a good fit.

Lay the old material on the panel and tape off where the cloth would be placed. Cut out new material using the old as a template. Install it in the same fashion as the vinyl.

Use the same process for the armrest. This panel turned out just as I expected.

My window control plastic cover was broken, so I cut out a matching flat peice of plastic (poly-ehtylene), spray-glued it to the backside, used ABS glue to re-join the break, covered it with vinyl, and used screws and clips to attach it from the top.

This is how it looks next to the rear panels I restored last time.

After I finish the passenger side, I have something special in mind for the headliner.

Good luck with your projects, and don't forget to think about what you are doing and work slow.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
starting to look much much better now that more pieces are getting done...

search for a thread by me on dying the carpet black as it will help a bunch too (unless the carpet is minty..then dont dye it.)

think you will tackle making new seat skins for the seats? in vinyl??

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ok I have the material to match my seats. I think seeing how your upper door turned out and armerst I will try it out on my spare ones.

I redid my upper rear panels already

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very cool... and thanks for the details and the pics. Redoing the Interior is one of the things that I've been wondering about.

Are you going to post pics on rebuilding the passenger door card with the Fiberglass?

Definitely a cool thread.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm glad to see that others are inspired to tackle their door panels as well. After receiving so much help when I rebuilt my engine, posting up this info is the least I could do.

When I was trying to find replacement parts, I could not find a window control switch cover that was not broken, so I just did what any street mechanic would do.

My floor carpet is too worn out to try to dye it, so I will replace it when the $$ flow is better.

I would like to do seat covers as well. Since I don't like sitting on vinyl or leather, I would like to do something out of a heavy duty cloth. I have some research to do for this project.

As far as the passenger door panel goes, I didn't take any pics of the process as it was nothing more than using fiberglass mesh and resin on both sides of the break. When I repaired them, I used some bar stock covered with wax paper with clamps to keep them in place. I also decided to cover the plastic door mount pins with fiberglass, then used some Duraglass body filler over the top for smoothing effect. I used nothing more than 36 grit sandpaper. I also had some split tears on the armrest that I cut out and repaired with JB Weld. Nonetheless, here are the pics of said door panel.

Here is the stock panel.

Here is the repair of the tears. JB Weld sands well.

The final product.

So ends another weekend project.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts