Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say that this was my first project car ever and I learned a lot, and I mean a lot. I first bought the car when I was 17 and decided to make it a project car to work on at home. Completely rebuilt the 5M and did a 5 spd. swap. All I knew was what I learned in auto tech in highschool and read on the internet so it took me about a year to do it all and it lasted me about 10 mins lol. But I wont go into that right now. I was pissed so the car sat for about a year and I paid no attention to it. Then I decided to do a 7M, did some research and found I could get one for about $1000, did some more research and found I could do a 1J for about $2000 or a little more, did some more research and found I could do a 2J for about $3000, so I said fuck it. GO BIG OR GO HOME! Took me forever to save up while working at uhaul and going to tech college for welding. Then got a job welding and that made it easier to save up but I was working 2nd shift, which sucked. Finally saved up enough and bought the front clip from a company in California. Basically I wanted a mad max style car lol. No looks just car and engine/drivetrain, eventually Im gonna put everything into a clean shell when I find one but for now I could care less how it looks.

Then started the teardown.....

Twins off

http://g.imageshack.us/img689/frontendharnessoff.jpg/1/

Harness off

Since I was ditching the twins and going single my friend and I rewrapped the harness with some mesh type material, not exactly sure what its called. Got it on cableorganizer.com. Wire in IAT sensor and 5 bar map sensor.

Cleaning, Sandblasting, Powdercoating also had to drill and tap a 3/8'' barb fitting for the brake booster since Aristos have electrically assisted brakes.

Drivetrain Goodies, R154 w 1J bellhousing and Nashman shifter

JUN Chromoly Flywheel and Spec Stage 3+ clutch

Intercooler mounted

HKS 264's installed and reshimmed clearances

MKIII Mishimoto rad. and Permacool fan

Magnafuel Pump and filters mounted on a bracket I made and a crapload of AN fittings, Sumped the stock tank in order to run the external pump.

Gauge cluster I made to fit my Prosport Gauges, its kinda plain right now. Im going to add a few more gauges and a radio soon.

3'' stainless tubing and v-bands to make my exhaust

Engine all back together with Titan cam gears, power enterprise kevlar timing belt, Boostlogic fuel rail and Precision 75lb.inj. and ATI dampner all ready to go in.

Engine/Trans in for the final time, IC piping done w/ Tial BOV, Aeromotive FPR mounted

Had to cut this entire section out due to rust. Previous owner had a leaking battery and it ate up the entire area.

Pro-EFI 128 EMS with the CAN gauge

New Tires

Wiring done and everything plumbed.

I really should have taken more pics but I was concentrating on getting everything done. Car is tuned now and a lot of fun! Made 476hp and 414tq with the clutch slipping(fucking Spec clutches) on 93, my tuner estimates the car should be making somewhere around 500hp but we wont be exactly sure until I get a twin disc clutch. 3rd gear = no traction lol. WOT in 4th is scary and I still havent tried 5th yet lol. Next up is True Trac, brakes, wheels, cage and Kirkey seats. I have some dyno vids that Ill up load tomorrow. Takin it to the 1/4 on Sunday to see what it does. Hopefully nothing breaks but Im planning for the worst so Im gonna trailer it there. Thanks for looking everyone.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome Jonathan...looks GREAT bro!
Thanks Mark. I have to thank you again for getting be a lot of the parts I needed. This would've cost a lot more without you lol.

Love the way you have yours setup!
Thanks, now you need to finish yours up and get it on the road!

I really like the way it turned out. Not a fan of all the bling that you normally see on 2J's. I love the way the coil pack cover looks sitting between the cam covers. Im a sucker for flat black lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
work of art man, that turbo looks massive

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What boost was that at? Nice btw :) I bet you LOVE IT!!! :) Get a better clutch!!!
Boost goes from 15.5-16.2psi according to the data log. Saving up for a true trac then for a twin disc. I totally forgot to call you on Sunday. We were so caught up with workin on the car. I had a feeling the clutch wasn't going to like the power. Fucking spec clutches.

work of art man, that turbo looks massive
Thanks, it looks big to some people but its actually pretty small for a 2j. I like the performance of the 67's compared to the bigger turbo like the 71's,74's,and up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes....SPEC has been quite dissapointing to many, including myself.
I researched and found a lot of good reviews from guys that were making similar goals that I wanted. So I bought then looked around some more found all the horror stories:duh:. By that time It was already installed, so Im sorta taking a chance with it for now. I can already feel it slipping in 3rd:eekfacepalm: So Im gonna try to take it easy on it.

What is the purpose of the modified shifter? Is that so it can sit in the stock position?
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=44219&highlight=nashman+shifter

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picture of mad max body!!!!!
I swear I feel exactly like Mad Max when Im driving lol. I think I watched those movies too many times:laugh:

edit: Went to the landfill after work and weighed the car. Completely gutted interior, only 2 front seats, spare tire and 1/4 tanks of gas = 2820lbs Spare tire is easily 20lbs so do the math. I thought it was gonna be around 2900 but I was close.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Looks very good - nice work.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
514 Posts
Uuuhhhh... wow. That's the way it should be done. This one's going in my spank bank for later.

A very fine example of a proper swap. Looks like you put the money in the right places for performance, and it paid off. 470+Hp is a big deal for an MKII.

As far as the clutch, I have the same issue with my ACT "Heavy Duty" Stage 2 pressure plate. I should have gone "Extreme" Stage 3. It would have killed the driveability, but still hold together at higher torque numbers.

Congratulations with your super clean accomplishment. It's shiny and fast.

Good job.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
how much of the front clip did you use/ditch

was it worth getting the whole clip or you could do without?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uuuhhhh... wow. That's the way it should be done. This one's going in my spank bank for later.

A very fine example of a proper swap. Looks like you put the money in the right places for performance, and it paid off. 470+Hp is a big deal for an MKII.

As far as the clutch, I have the same issue with my ACT "Heavy Duty" Stage 2 pressure plate. I should have gone "Extreme" Stage 3. It would have killed the driveability, but still hold together at higher torque numbers.

Congratulations with your super clean accomplishment. It's shiny and fast.

Good job.
I hate it when something is just thrown together and time isnt taken to make it look clean and professional regardless what it is. Plus Im really compulsive so I had to make it look clean lol. I definitely spent a lot more money then I had planned but I also didnt plan going with a single turbo setup. Oh well Im happy with the finished product.

how much of the front clip did you use/ditch

was it worth getting the whole clip or you could do without?
I could of done without the front clip but I had the assurance that the engine ran smooth before I pulled it out of the clip. The only thing the that I used off the clip was the power steering reservoir lol. I might of used some other stuff but I can remember. Next time I do a 2j swap Ill prob. just get the motor/trans./ecu, etc.

Ill try to get some street vids tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
fantastic work! that thing is such a beast of a car now.

I really like the mesh loom on the harness too, It makes me wish I had done it to mine. did you have to de-pin the connectors to get the mesh overtop?

1 - 20 of 423 Posts