Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since i bought my new DD im going to use the supra as my work, project, custom vehicle. If anyone has ever seen The Italian Job then you will better understand the suspension setup im interested in. I may have solid aluminum K-frame mounts made for me by my roommate here at college, but i need some input on both the basics and extremes of the MK II suspension and its capabilities cause i need to be able to haul full engines with it.....lol

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
what do you plan to do with the car? depends a lot, if you want a drift car, a track car, DD, rally, autocross, ??????? and which engine are you planning to swap? or you just want to put coilovers? many applications = many set up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i need to to be able to handle anything off road but still have enough capacity in the sway bars to handle cornering on road, stock 5M w/ a prototype forced induction system im building w/ my college, it may be retrofitted w/ a rear air suspension leveling kit to handle whatever i put in the back of it, idk yet its still just bouncing around in my head but whatever i do it has to be a little off the wall.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
So you need to increase stock ride height to handle off road requirements? The MKII has several pieces that hang low-under crossmember/body rail line-Exhaust, diff, trans bellhousing, oil pan. The MKII stock suspension DOES NOT allow for ride height changes without changing settings, so a variable ride height system(air bags, or equiv) isnt really practical. Air shocks in back is an easy and effective solution to the engine block dilemna, writeups exist here. You could increase ride height with front coilovers and camber plates, and airshocks/camber brackets in rear. The mx73 cressy rear springs are an inch taller, also. Whatever you do, raising the already tall ride height can only hurt street performance, and stiffer springs and shocks are not recommended for off-roading, as you need max travel and compliance.....

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
ready and prepared to do so
what kind of OFF ROAD are you planning to do? what exactly is your idea? so do you want to make a supra with an OFF ROAD setup and a street performance or drift setup? what is your point? or there is no point? :sarcasm:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
truely not much of a point i just want it to handle whatever life throws at it, i have a knack at getting in weird predicaments and i want a car that can handle a situation better then a stock car would, snow, sleet, wind, rain, whatever its all in the air and its definitely going to be off the wall. and it has to be able to handle a large cargo capacity some of the time.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
with my suspension, the most I can do is drive on grass and that is sketch.

Off road and performance are not often coupled together. It sounds like your in the market for a small pick up as a DD not a Supra.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep but a supra is all i got to work with and i love it so let the FUN BEGIN!!!! exterior will have rally car details interior will be designed fo work and suspen designed for almost anything.... its a shame i haven't figured out a awd swap yet been too busy w/ college

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took the '83 Mudding! did better than I thought. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
ya, best solution is to put the supra body on another frame, one with adjustable suspension. if you did just lift the rear end, you'll have so much camber it's just pointless.,

·
Registered
622 Posts
First off what is the objective? If it is a street capable off road vehicle you either need an awd conversion which would be lots of custom work and a different transmission, the list could go on forever. Or you could get a celica all trac and call it a day. A rwd supra offroad is nonsense, so if your serious the w59 is an awd transmission you could tinker with, but it would more than likely need a custom driveshaft and then some. And first thing you need to do is set an objective of what you want the car to be, usually it is not all of the above but could be targeted for a few like a drift or autox mk2 that can do a good 1/4 mile and be a DD. An offroad supra is a road less traveled though for a good reason, two wheel drive off road is impractical. IF these cars had an awd option or had a conversion method I am sure we'd see a few offroad mk2's but the way it is it would require money, more money , custom work, time, more money, time, and then some and more money.:laugh:

Seriously though think about what you want this car to be and then set some goals within reach.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Seriously????

Can't decide what I think of that. Will save pics though lol.

Could be fun. Probably not so great for smashing around corners.

Maybe now I have a plan for my white car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Subaru wrx/sti drivetrain + electronics. Motor is good with mods, and is kinda hard to detonate.. I haven't seen too many. Hardest part you'll have for any awd set up is getting the front wheels powered.

To be totally honest but the time your done modifying the Supra to your requirments, you could have probably put a decent suspension set up on the supra and bought a cheap truck for work.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Well since i bought my new DD im going to use the supra as my work, project, custom vehicle. If anyone has ever seen The Italian Job then you will better understand the suspension setup im interested in. I may have solid aluminum K-frame mounts made for me by my roommate here at college, but i need some input on both the basics and extremes of the MK II suspension and its capabilities cause i need to be able to haul full engines with it.....lol

Point 1: You have a DD
Point 2: Supra is now work/custom vehicle
Point 3: Movie reference
Point 4: Friend at college makes solid frame mounts
Point 5: You need random information about the stock setup in relation to an unlisted goal
Point 6: You want to haul engines

What in the world are you asking here? You would have been better off starting a thread and naming it "headbang for 10 minutes then type the first thing that comes to mind"

...might want to look into a Speech/Communication/Writing class there at school.

--billyM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Point 1: You have a DD
Point 2: Supra is now work/custom vehicle
Point 3: Movie reference
Point 4: Friend at college makes solid frame mounts
Point 5: You need random information about the stock setup in relation to an unlisted goal
Point 6: You want to haul engines

What in the world are you asking here? You would have been better off starting a thread and naming it "headbang for 10 minutes then type the first thing that comes to mind"

...might want to look into a Speech/Communication/Writing class there at school.

--billyM
now thats not needed im only asking as a forum member since most people aren't insulting, im a history major and i did fine in my communications courses i just have a lot of ideas and last time i checked bouncing them off people in a social setting like a forum can produce different counterideas and other needed flaws in mine (other then my poor grammar) and FYI i just got out of the hospital so any poorly used or misspelled shit isn't by fault i was very sick for 2 weeks

im just trying to get some input on different mods available for my supra and what has been done and not done. i want to build a car different then every one else for the pure fact that its something to do.

Thanks

Erik

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
It isn't your grammar, it's your obscurity and inspecificity. Post 2, post 4, post 5, post 15. Notice people asking "what" and "why"? That's for a reason. We don't know what you're trying to accomplish, and that's what we're trying to get out of you. No one knows how to answer your post for help "weight question for my suspension setup".

Forums are a great resource, but should not be used for mindless blathering. State your goals, enlist help of other members, and share results.

I'm an e-asshole, it's my thing, but I promise I wouldn't spend the time typing if I didn't have your best interest in mind.

--billyM

1 - 20 of 30 Posts