Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know or have info on how much these engines weigh? I'm curious about the differences between them (the M's and JZ's.)
thanks,
Al

·
Registered
141 Posts
It may be less than indicated by the block and head estimates in that chart. I know the head does not way anywhere near 100lbs. I pulled mine off easily while leaning into the car and carried it around all over the place with no strain to speak of. I would guess it weighs maybe half that with all the valves and everything in it. If that estimate includes the cam towers and cams, it may be closer but I still think way less than 100 lbs.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think the 6M and 7M are very close in weights to a 5M.
im pulling my 5M out today, ill probably end up going to weigh it on the way to the car wash.

·
POTATO
17,267 Posts
wow I just checked out this post and looked up the various weights. A lot of things seem to be quite heavier than I'd thought, like the clutch, I took that off this past weekend and the whole shibang may have weighed 8 pounds or so definitly not 41lbs, unless that weight was estimated w/ the flywheel too. Also the passengers seat? 41lbs holy crap I must be stronger than I thought, I figured maybe 22lbs. or so.rear seat backs are maybe 8lbs.

Anyway, just wondering how these numbers came about? Did someone actually weigh everything off the car or are all these estimates? If the total of that is 3,064lbs. I can think of just a few things that'll bring it below 3000. If I had the time, I sure would weigh what I've got pulled from my Blupra already, but I am way to busy, which stinks, b/c I'd really like to find out actual weights

·
Registered
306 Posts
what is the real point in weighing the engines?

IN power to weight, the post of 5m, 6m, 7m, 1jz,2 jz is a power to weight ratio. The difference between the 5m and 6m are negligable(relatively), and the 7m can make 350+hp without problems, and then the 1jz and 2jz are in a league of their own with the possibilities in hp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The need to know the weight difference in engines can easily mean the difference between an easily drivable car and one that handles like wreck waiting to happen.

If the weight distribution is thrown to far out, you end up with a car that may not suit it's purpose, be that racing or simply spirited driving.

For those who do not want to ruin the driving characteristics of the car, engine weight should be included into the equasion for any engine conversion that may occur.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
To answer some of the questions about that table of weights on my website...

I tore apart an 82 Supra and actually weighed most of the parts as I removed them from the car. I did this because I planned to build a Mk2 into a race car and wanted to know how much weight I could remove by taking out parts that were not needed. Now I have my race car and I know that over 450 lbs have been removed from it.

Tanya, you must be strong... That pass seat weighs 41 lbs. Rear seat backs weigh 10 lbs each, 20 lbs for both.

Anything marked with "(estimated)" was simply an estimate. I've since gotten some better weights for many of those parts, since I recently tore apart a 6M and put the parts on the scale. I need to update my site, but in the meantime, here you go....

Head, with cam boxes,cams,springs,valves,lash adj,rocker arms,plugs 74 lbs
Block, completely stripped, cast iron block only 125 lbs
Crank (6M-GE) 52 lbs
Crank bearing caps and bolts 9 lbs
Pistons, wrist pins, conn rods and caps 13 lbs
Front lower timing belt case and rear oil seal retainer (est) 4 lbs
Oil pump with pickup and oil pump driveshaft 5 lbs
Flywheel, Clutch disc and cover 35 lbs

Hope that helps clarify things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts