Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got this weird problem. when i press the horn button the horn doesnt work and intermittently the lights close and open once i let off the horn button. has anyone else ever had this issue?

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
check the hazard/horn fuse in the engine compartment.. it might be loose are starting to blow... assuming you have an '85 with the factory alarm.. the lights/horn system is tied together

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
84-86 - the slip ring gets worn down. If you pull the steering wheel (I recommend the pulley puller from Harbor Freight $10) you can get to it- and a temp solution you can put a cardboard shim in.

This does not apply to 82-83.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got a 85 with a factory alarm. ill check fuses once it gets warm enough to do so

·
Registered
515 Posts
Has any Electrical work been done to the car that you can visually see?
My guess would be a short to ground when you activate the horn.
Grab an elecrical diagram from the TSRM and probe around for a problem.
A fuse is either good or blown, it can't be any variable in between.
I don't believe it is an alarm related problem, but never rule that out of th equation.
I only say this because a module is one of the least likely componants in a car to fail.

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
I've seen with my own eyes a fuse that was partly blown. Still had a connection but was halfway fried. And it was my EFI fuse, right around the same time my fuel pump shat itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has any Electrical work been done to the car that you can visually see?
My guess would be a short to ground when you activate the horn.
Grab an elecrical diagram from the TSRM and probe around for a problem.
I don't believe it is an alarm related problem, but never rule that out of th equation.
I only say this because a module is one of the least likely componants in a car to fail.
i go to a auto tech college and i got access to alldata i just wanted a place to start from, so yeah ill look it up. and the only electrical work i can see done is the aftermarket stereo (which doesnt work either) and the engine swap's necessary electricals

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've seen with my own eyes a fuse that was partly blown. Still had a connection but was halfway fried. And it was my EFI fuse, right around the same time my fuel pump shat itself.
You may have had a slow blow or "slo-blo" blade type fuse that had started to deform, but didn't open because the high current didn't have enough duration. A blade-type fuse is an insulated soft metal wire that opens a circuit when it reaches it's temperature threshold. It literally vaporizes or melts (depending on fuse style), so it's either working (closed), or blown (open).
In your case, the fuse was still operational, and would have opened the way it was designed to when it was designed to.

i go to a auto tech college and i got access to alldata i just wanted a place to start from, so yeah ill look it up. and the only electrical work i can see done is the aftermarket stereo (which doesnt work either) and the engine swap's necessary electricals
What school do you go to?
I used AllData at school a lot, but the info wasn't very helpful on my Supra or Cressida. The mkii Supra TSRM helped me out a great deal more.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/default.aspx

In either case, check out the wiring behind your radio. You don't want any mickey mouse wire harness to go up in flames.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alldata has been priceless on the accord but for engine problems its useless on my car since i got a 6m and idk if anything is the same. and i go to Dunwoody in Minneapolis MN, btw good name my name is Ryan too. only real men are named Ryan!

·
Registered
7 Posts
re:

Great post, though late in reading this, I can't say how much this helped me with my horn button problem. Thanks for sharing. :)

Keep it flowing!

93 Formula Mods: 383, LE2 Heads/Intake, 226/230 cam, 52MM TB, Magnaflow cat back, Brake Disc LT headers, CAI, SFC, Strut Brace, Adj LCA, Adj Panhard, Oil Pan Gasket Set Relocated Torque Arm, Progressive Rate Springs, horn button Short Throw Shifter

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
so how many horns do our cars have? i though we had 3....one below each headlight right and one close to the washer fuid tank??? mine are not working, relay is goos, hazard lights works, also ground is going thru the horn button, there is any relay somewhere that i could check??? mine is an 84 ptype

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
84's only have 2 horns. The one on the windshield washer tank bracket is only for the factory alarm system.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
thanks for the info...yeah i remember the third one from my ex 85, there another thing i could check...seems like there is no a relay or smthg i could check...mmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts