Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well not really, i didn't have that much time, but i have a few questions.

I unbolted the rear driveshafts from the diff, but how am i supposed to pull them off? the FSM shows them coming off very nicely, but it's lying to me. pulling doesn't do much good because i don't have anywhere to pull to. do i have to take apart the brakes to disassemble the entire outbound driveshaft setup?

work is also going slow because the bottom of the car is covered in spiders and i fucking hate spiders. going to bring a pressure washer tomorrow and blow out the underside of the car.

speaking of pressure washing, i'm sure most of you have seen the wheels on my parts car:

if not, now you have. my question is - would blowing the fuck out of them with the pressure washer be a smart thing to do? would it damage them in any way? note that i don't have hours and hours to scrub clean each wheel.

aside from that... these cars come with a tiny anti-sway bar... the one on my k car was at least twice as thick.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
Are you talking about the half shafts or the driveshaft? The halfshafts should pull straight off (after you take the nuts off of course :) ). You might want to spray it all down with WD40 and rotate the wheels. This will probably break them loose, if not you might need to pry on them off. For the driveshaft just leave it and lower the diff it'll pop out.

Also pressure wash to your hearts content. I doubt it will clean those up much.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm talking about the half shafts.

i've undone the bolts, but i have no room to pull them off the bolts... i can't move them outwards away from the diff.

i'll get back at it tomorrow after i pressure wash under the car.

is there any hope for those wheels?

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Not sure from the pics how deep the corrosion has eaten away at the polished face of the rims. The spaces between the spokes are sand cast and can be carefully masked and sandblasted and look like new again. The face may be pitted however and it just depends how deep. Too deep and its not worth messing with. As plentiful as these wheels are someone could probably find a full set in better shape for $100.

Phil D.

·
Registered
830 Posts
give it a smack with a hammer. worked for me

·
Registered
830 Posts
or take some tension off the wheels. where do u have it jacked up? cuz when i pulled the diff out i lifted the back end up by hooking the engine hoist to those towing loops. so i just lifted it with the engine hoist then i just pulled it out and everything came out fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the axels should just pull off, there's two joints in each, they just bend and slide off. Sounds like they're seized on good. BFH.

As for the wheels, if they're all as rash free as that one then get them sandblasted and wet sand them smooth then polish, they'll look like new. As long as they're not too pitted or rashed they can still be made to look damn good. And if not, clean em good and paint them black and use them as beater wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts