Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
err ya, as the subject says :p

The stock wheels on my MKII supra are very oxidised.
I wasnt sure if i should use a metal polish on them? Some sort of clear coat on them maybe?

I may get them professionally cleaned.... suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The factory wheels are clear coated most of them look like they are oxidized by now. Trying to polish the clear won't do you any good. The way to fix this is to polish your old wheels. I'd read the wheel polishing FAQ here to get up to speed on the general idea;

http://www.geocities.com/dust_inc/wheelpolish.htm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Give that a shot. Mine were really shot and i spent a weekend working on them and was very pleased with the results.
It's deffinatly at lease a 12pack job 8)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
dang after reading up on all these wheel polishing sites
makes my advise of old toothbrush and Castrol Wheel Cleaner look like crap :wink:. but if they are very oxidized a toothbrush would probably take u years to do :lol:
but if any one needs to do some minor cleaning Hope my advise helps

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Re: wheel polishing

I just finished a test wheel following Dean's and Giacchi's instructions generally except that instead of painting the insides, I sandblasted mine. Looks factory. Gotta mask it off thick and be careful this method tho - why this was a test wheel.

Phil D.

click here: http://www.geocities.com/pduple1/DSCF0054.JPG

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
not all factory rims are clear coated. Toyota started doing that in 84? I believe.

I'm lazy, I can't stand the thought of polishing my wheels every month to keep them shiny, I'd rather put some money and time into them upfront and then reap the rewards for years to come. I clear coated mine with industrial automotive paint. I also painted the inserts and and sides of the spokes with black with gold pearl. They looked real nice but if I did it again I'd powder coat them clear. The problem with clear coated rims is as soon as you get a chip the bare metal starts to oxidize and it spreads just like rust underneath the clear. Powdercoated clear is really hard to chip. Clear anadizing is also another way to go. Aftermarket aluminum rims with polished lips come that way, keeps them from oxidizing. Both processes are a little on the expensive side though.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Roughly, how much would powdercoating go for on a set of rims if all the cleaning and prep were done on them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts