Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What could this be? Doesnt sound like a rod knock...

I have no idea what this is. Doesnt sound like metal clinking, or am i being optimistic? See video

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/toyocua/?action=view&current=IMGP0608.flv

The sound is coming from the front of the motor. Near the harmonic balancer. The car still pulls very nicely but im not running any risks, so im putting her away for the winter. Ugh

Ive been having problems starting the car (has to crank about 15 times when its cold), now im starting to wonder if this is correlating with this noise....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Should be illegal to post this question, without pulling the timing covers first. Lots of stuff can make bad noises back there.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the timing cover off before and it sounded like it was coming from the harmonic balancer. Ive heard a similar sound like this months ago but wasnt bad at all.(sound eventually went away). now it came back for good it seems....

Maybe it is the oil pump. i could have 5 quarts of oil, but when then the motor is warm the oil pressure would be at L. only upon startup would it near H and eventually drop down during my 30 min drive to work.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
first thing I'd do is pull the crank dampener and have a close inspection of it done. I also agree with Jason's lifter theory, but I'd yank the harmonic dampener first since it doesn't cost anything to do that and you're not breaking into then engine yet.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea. ill yank the harmonic dampener first. i might as well replace the oil pump, but ill get to that in the spring.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I am not even gone a few months and you already have messed the car up???

Whats up with that?

How's it going man?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not even gone a few months and you already have messed the car up???

Whats up with that?

How's it going man?
im good man. ive been reading a ton and it looks to be the idler pulley. my fpr crapped out too so im getting both parts tomorrow. once it rev's up, the noise kinda goes away.

man, that feramic clutch from raptor is hella good. got my monies worth! the car feels so much better. you gotta let me know when your back in chicago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts