Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 3621 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seemed like a good weekend to replace a few things, so started some disassembly on the engine. Picture is intermediate progress. Got the crank bolt out, but haven't gotten the pulley off yet. Timing gears, valve covers, rear aluminum timing cover are all off now.

Doing new cam tower gaskets, cam seals, timing belt, tensioner, spring, etc. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, radiator hoses, water pump, all getting replaced.

Anything else I should replace while it's this far apart?

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
SOLD T a Celica Supra Leather key fob...last one in stock...

Bought a '84 Owners Manual for $10 bucks...

Watching NASCAR tonight!!

Reactions: Tanya

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I suggest this upgrade to the cam towers. Your choice....
Simply a sheet metal shield to NOT allow the oil to splash directly at the can tower tops/gaskets.
Cannot find the photos for you.
The engineers did not think of that. I did.

You can MAKE a good tool to hold the Cams into place for the gears. Long breaker bar. Cannot find that photo,either.
Grease the cam seals B-4. installing.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brought it in a nearby auto repair shop. My new dog scratches out the paint on my bumper and now it looks really bad. It's like Wolverine destroys my car and it will cost me a lot to have it fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Well, a few days ago.
Darrow and I pulled my A/C condenser out of my '84 for him to keep and modify, at will.
I'll make a new condenser fan bracket (for cooling) with my De Rale pusher fan.
Wired to the A/C button.:sneaky:
We got along just fine. "I need a 26 mm open end wrench, Dave".
My pleasure.

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Today was a wash and a blow dry. LEAF BLOWER leaves a perfectly spotless finish!
I had to blow off the drive way, anyway. Now, I'm sore. Ear protection? Too late for this old guy.
It's beer-thirty.🍻

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
^ leafblower FTW ! :cool:

I went thru a new touchless car wash the other day - their blowers were so strong my louvers were bending up and down. Afraid it might pop the window seal I'm not likely to go again, but damn did it do a spanking good job!

Today I dropped in a can of leak seal and recharged the A/C with R12a - nice & ccold!! The R12a usually lasts 2-3 years.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Get cool air to your face!

Give your car a BLOW JOB with a leaf blower. Works fine, after a wash. Wipe it down? NAW!
I have a few R-12 bombs kicking around ,but NO A/C, anymore. I'm skinny and can take the Seattle heat.

EYE just gave away my A/C condenser to a forum member because I do NOT want it in there.
I was poking around under the hood today and saw that my insulator rubbers were junk that attached to the upper mounts on my aluminum Griffin radiator. It needs to be isolated from the steel sheet metal! I have some rubber grommets on order.

Had to order some rubber stuff to mount my De Raile pusher fan, too!
These will work just fine.

Yeah, I'll have a few days to build the brackets.
WAY easier to work under the hood when it's up on ramps. By "back-o-later" is not very happy.
Derek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I decided I hated myself and kept digging for more seals and gaskets to replace while I was down there... Rear lower timing cover off now too. Starting to clean things up. Cam towers have been cleaned up with new seals at each end, but I decided while they're off, I might as well do the valve stem seals since I've got them in my gasket set, even though I'm not burning any oil. I've gotta find a spring compressor that will work for these and my LS3 springs on my other car. Hopefully this will take care of everything on the front of the engine. Once it's back together, clean and dry, I'll probably jack the engine and do the oil pan. Based on everything else leaking, I'll see how bad the rear main is leaking later on and do that at a different time... So, with that said, I should've just pulled the engine, but where's the challenge in that??

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Building and electric pusher fan mount.

The one diagonal 3/4 " aluminum will not be enough.
I'm still custom-fitting a mount inside my head.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Washed, and charged AC after about 10 years R12 blowing cold! Its sputtering and not wanting to run too good, so Im gonna drain the tank and change the fuel filter. Set the timing and ready it for sale. I will post a new thread at some point.
IMG_2243.jpg

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow! She is spectacular.
And very nice photography.

Dale

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
How can you do that, after all the hours you have spent on her!?

Someone is gonna get himself a clean to the bone MK2.
Lucky for him, sad for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
How can you do that, after all the hours you have spent on her!?

Someone is gonna get himself a clean to the bone MK2.
Lucky for him, sad for you.

^+1
I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yeah!!!

Just joking. I'm sure there are good reasons for doing it, even if it means making people like me cry...

Dale

Reactions: ddd228 and jugalo

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Building and electric pusher fan mount.

The one diagonal 3/4 " aluminum will not be enough.
I'm still custom-fitting a mount inside my head.
I fitted another brace to the lower part today. The assembly went in and out a few times today. Had to cardboard in there to protect my Griffin. I went OCD today and removed the hood latch assembly to clean it. Tools were left under the hood for tomorrow's final install. In the rain:Seattle, WA 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground
All mounting points will be rubber mounted. They like like VW rubber mounts I added a brace to hold the power wires.
My a/c BUTTON IS THE trigger, when I'm stuck in traffic.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Have you guys been following this thread? Check out the last page, so much going on in here, it deserves some love...

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I fitted another brace to the lower part today. The assembly went in and out a few times today. Had to cardboard in there to protect my Griffin. I went OCD today and removed the hood latch assembly to clean it. Tools were left under the hood for tomorrow's final install. In the rain:Seattle, WA 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground
All mounting points will be rubber mounted. They like like VW rubber mounts I added a brace to hold the power wires.
My a/c BUTTON IS THE trigger, when I'm stuck in traffic.
I got tired of working on this...

3561 - 3580 of 3621 Posts