Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 3621 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Or just use Google Lens, it will translate all sorts of text/signs/symbols if you are lucky!

I have still to order a new radiator cap, the first one I got was much too small.. Also, since replacing the regulator, it won't charge well, maybe I'll switch back to the old again, now that I've replaced the charge lamp relay.
Beernuts. PM me if I can assist getting a OEM radiator cap...

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
An OEM radiator cap is about 14-20 PSI? I use a 7 PSI one: aftermarket.
Mine is a special case because I use Evans cool coolant. I will ....NEVER... have a pressure-related coolant failure.
OR a BHG. The drawback is the COST.$45 (US) a gallon?
You really have to want it.

Boils at 275*

NO coolant recovery bottle is needed.
PITA to change over. !!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Diagnoses fuel problem. Plugged witches cap before pump in 82. Planning to install pre pump filter. :) any placement suggestions 82/83 owners ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Picked up a new 27F battery to replace the 11-year old battery currently in there. Toyota dealership had a pretty good warranty with the best price by a large margin, so I picked up a TrueStart for $109. Hopefully it doesn't suck! Currently being topped off on the charger before installation.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Gave the old girl and the van a wash today, then had the water pump go out on me on the way to my garage where I was going to swap out the wheels and play with coil overs a bit. Ah well, looks like i'm doing timing belt, waterpump, and misc seals and some other junk sooner than expected...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Gave the old girl and the van a wash today, then had the water pump go out on me on the way to my garage where I was going to swap out the wheels and play with coil overs a bit. Ah well, looks like i'm doing timing belt, waterpump, and misc seals and some other junk sooner than expected...
Yup. This seems to be a lot more common on mature cars. You have to schedule extra time for things that you weren't planning on.
And I imagine it had given no sign of issues before this. Out of nowhere kabam...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Cleaned and buttoned up for another year in storage... drove it alot this summer (99% highway) & enjoyed every mile! :cool:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Yup. This seems to be a lot more common on mature cars. You have to schedule extra time for things that you weren't planning on.
And I imagine it had given no sign of issues before this. Out of nowhere kabam...
I think i actually changed it out like 10+ years ago? I haven't driven it much at all in the last couple years, but yeah no signs just boom gone, coolant falls right out.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Isn't it a bit early for hibernation?
Yes, I would normally keep 'er on the road until around the end of October, but I recently returned to a fly-in community in the Great White North. I'm actually considering getting myself a new toy:

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Got the steering wheels I ordered. I already had the horn buttons.

Attachments

Reactions: '82supra

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Yes, I would normally keep 'er on the road until around the end of October, but I recently returned to a fly-in community in the Great White North. I'm actually considering getting myself a new toy:

I decided to go with a new sled instead: Skidoo Renegade

Has a top-speed of 90mph, almost as fast as I push my Supra, lol.

Winter is Coming

·
Registered
178 Posts
And I scratched my righ rear venting cover today :mad::mad: My fault alone; right rear view mirror not adjusted correctly and misjudged the distance to a pillar in the underground parking :mad:

My poor little baby.

I remember seeing those parts somewhere for sale but of course now I can't find them anymore.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don’t know how accurate a reproduction these are, but they’d be better than a damaged original:

EBay JDM rear vents

you may want to post in the wanted section of the forum.

They are Japanese, Australian, European items. In North America there are lights that fit in place of them. Some North Americans bought the originals for the JDM look and may have decided not to install them. Someone may be willing to part with a set to help you out.

alternately, you could buy a set of the North American lights if regulations allow it. I would imagine it would be quite rare in Germany.

Rear quarter marker light
This one is the wrong side, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. It fits in the same hole as the vents and you wouldn’t have to light it, just use it as a reflector.
dale

Reactions: Zoe

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks a lot! You guys are terrific.
I guess I'll go for the 3D printed ones and also look for parts here in the forum.
You are of course correct, we don't have the lights in the vents but it would sure be cool to have them here. Would make my little baby even more special.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks a lot! You guys are terrific.
I guess I'll go for the 3D printed ones and also look for parts here in the forum.
You are of course correct, we don't have the lights in the vents but it would sure be cool to have them here. Would make my little baby even more special.
Don't throw the part out! It may be repairable.

Does anyone know what these vents are made out of?
If they are ABS Plastic, I suspect that you could have this repaired.

If you are a hobbyist, or if you have a body repair person willing to take this on, the following type of material could be used to build up the scratches.

Plastifix Repair Kit

The kit consists of a solvent that melts ABS plastic and ground up black ABS plastic.
There are other products available that are similar, so it doesn't have to be this one.

I'm no artist so I don't know if I could do it, but I have used this to help repair a rear view mirror body that had a mounting screw hole torn out of the plastic shell.

The ABS is finely ground and is applied by dusting a part. The solvent applicator has a fine tip syringe that you drop solvent with. ABS plastic melts. Typically you would mask off the damaged area, dust it with the ABS powder and drop the solvent onto. The surface of the plastic literally melts and fuses with the ABS dust. The key to making this work is the ability to sand the repaired section to the original level and to polish the plastic so the finish is the same as the original.

Polyvance Web site showing a repair

If the part is not ABS plastic, the ground up ABS plastic will not fuse with the part, but sit on top.

I just want to throw this out in case you have trouble getting a replacement part. And if you get it to work, the repair is even better as you did it yourself.

Dale

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dale, thanks for your helpful hints on the repair. In any case it will be a winter project, either swapping out parts or repairing the current one.
I used to do some model building, so working with putty and sandpaper is not new to me (I will probably have forgotten the details by today). Polystyrol can also be repaired, but I doubt it is that material, ABS is much more likely.
And I never (nearly never) throw something away (don't ask how my shop looks like :) ) You can always use a broken part as a template if things go really wrong.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Did everything except the valve seals on the top end basically, got tired of it sitting in the shop too long and had to stop the trickle down "while i'm in here" jobs somewhere... Took forever to properly clean most of the gasket surfaces, just an insane amount of gray rtv everywhere. Very lucky none of this is plugging up passages anywhere. Took a combination of pulling off by hand, scraping with a plastic blade, roloc finger discs, and then sponge type discs for final pass with rams stuffed everywhere to manage debris.

The valve stem seals are still leaking like crazy at idle until warmup, but no leaks externally. I forget the brand but i was pulling from from an entire engine seal kit i had on hand, new cam seals front and rear, crank seal, oil pump seal, valve cover and those screw grommets, though the 180 thermostat and aisin waterpump are from rockauto, Wires were good, but new plugs while i was in there too even though the old ones seemed reasonable.

I also went ahead and ran a beefy 4awg cable with a 100amp fuse to the alternator charge lug while i had the radiator out, very easy to run a cable with the other bundle under the core support just in front of the rad. I also tossed in a thermostatic fan switch that cuts on at 200 and off at 185 into the blocked off port in the thermostat housing, 3/8npt worked fine per posts i found here even though as they stated it is BPST like some things in our 5m's... I've got an electric fan to toss in and now i've got a sensor that can control it, just too many projects and not enough time these days.

3601 - 3620 of 3621 Posts