Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that the 6mge uses the 5mge head so i know what parts i can get for that. but the block is different than a 5m, so what can i get for it. since its a jdm engine can i get any pats for it at the parts stores here in the states or do i have to learn japanese. i will most likely want to get all internal bearings, pistons and rings, maybe rods and a thicker head gasket to lower compression. this is of course when i get the money and it will be turbo'd.

i've searched and i get mixed answers about weather or not the block is essentialy a 7m or not. will 7m pistons and crank fit or not fit?

i'm just looking for consistant answers and manufacturers(sp) of parts for the 6m engine.

thanks to all that help Darrow

·
Registered
733 Posts
I believe this is the case, but I am sure that others will chime in if not:

The block is a 5M type, it has been machined to accept the 7M type longer throw crank. The rods, I think, are unique to the 6M, they are shorter to make up for the longer throw crank. The seals on the crank are 7M type.

I believe you can put 7M rods and pistons in, but the 7M piston tops are designed for a 24 valve engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished working on 5mge and 6mge, and this is what i think you'd need offhand.

7mge crank and rods, crankshaft seal, 6mge crank pulley(hard to find), 5mge pistons, head

The block is the same, the rotating parts are what are different. I think the rod bearings are the same on all three motors, the mains have to be from a late model 5mge or 7mge, rings from a 5mge will work.

Maybe someone can verify or deny this.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
All the replacement type parts are 5M, except the front main seal which is a 7M parts. Rods are similar dimension wise wise to a 7M, crank is a 7M part. Crank pulley is unique to a 6M.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I thought the pin height on the 7M pistons are different than the 6M/5Ms? Thus the rods on the 6M need to be shorter. Never had a 6M to look at, but thought something had to give with the longer stroke in the 6M.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
6M rods are the same length as 7M rods. There are people that have used the 7M rods in a 6M. Both are shorter than the 5M rod. Stroke is completely a function of crank throw.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replys

this is what i gather so far:
pistons and piston rings: 5m
crank: 7m
crank bearings:7m
rods: 7m
rod bearings: 7m or 5m
crank seal front and rear: 7m
metal head gasket: 7m
all head parts: 5m
Timing belt: ?
crank pully: 6m specific

·
Registered
85 Posts
Timing belt: Late style 5M
Rear crank seal: 5M
Note about pistons: Early 5M flat tops (8.8:1 in a 5M) yield 9.2:1 compression in the 6M due to greater displacement compressed into same size combustion chamber.
Ihth,
Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts