1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
This one ends tomorrow morning, I bet it will surge up another $500 or so at the end.

Pretty nice car, and will be a good sale for an automatic. Gotta love black.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think it is likely in very good condition; however, when buying cars on gamble-bay...we'll its a gamble. There are a couple issues I can see in the photos provided and I gather that with proper photos, more issues could be seen. Not saying anything like the mileage is incorrect or blatant miss-leading by the seller. However, I don't get a good feeling about how the seller has represented his car, so I'd be cautious.

I can make out:
1.driver side seat bolster has some issues, but hard to see exactly to what extent.
2.Large piece of the black fabric of the under hood cover (above the battery location) is missing. I can see the underlying fiberglass padding.
3.Hard to tell what the muffler/exhaust is/is like
4.With all those shadows on the paint you can't truthfully make out it condition. Yes, the clear coat appears to be intact and in excellent condition. However, there could be other things present but not visible in the photos. For example, I've seen black California MKII's under 100k that at some time in their life, sat under or near a specific species of tree (I'm still not sure what kind) and the tree gave off some sap in pin sized droplets when the wind blows strong. This sap was left on the car and oxidized the clear coat leaving all these little pin head sized marks. Buffing would not removed them, as the acidic nature of the sap oxidized through the entire cleat coat.
...Black is just a hard color to see imperfections even in the best of photos, and what the seller has provided are far from good photos in my opinion.
5. Seller said the rad was replaced, so with this car sitting a long time with low miles, a red-flag should go up about the rest of the cooling system, and engine cooling passages/internals.

Interior does look great, but so does my LG-26 leather and I have ~140k, and a perfect driver's side bolster, so just looking at the interior does not say anything mechanically or cosmetically about the car.

One really needs to see and drive a car in person to make an effective assessment. I should know, my SDR came from ebay back in 02 and when the car arrived at my door, there were obvious minor spider cracking of the paint on the rear pass quarter panel due to a bad prep job before a re-painting that was not visible in the photos. It then became clear to me that the car had body work on the panel at some time. Knowing that, I probably would not have bid. Additionally, my car even came from a Toyota Dealer and the person selling never said anything about the visible cracking and claimed the paint was original....and of course none of this was visible in the over 25 photos he provided, some where even of the quarter panel, but the cracks were just not visible in the photos. I'll never go sight unseen again. 7 years later, the cracking has progressed and eventually, an entire re-paint of the car will be necessary....but I digress...

Its obvious to me that this is a quick turn-around sale by the seller and that's too bad. Thus, I don't think the seller is going to go out of his way to show the issues that are present on this car. This fact is clear from a couple of his responses from interested parties asking for additional photos.

Would have been nice for a supra fan to have been the second owner instead of this person. For me, it is overpriced at $6,200

my $.024859384753 cents

rick

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The ultimate year/color combo with leather (for me anyway).

If it were only a 5-speed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh Mama marmalade (mermelada)... how i wish this was here!!..
i would buy it but transportation overseas would kil me..
The only one & nearest to me is not even half the car this is and sells for 9 grand..
lovely car...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
rust on battery tie down suggests a battery has exploded/ and rusted it out. a new tie down is cheap but it may have gotten to the chasssis belw the battery. ie radiator mount, tie rod mount, wheel well, battery support...... pics!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
$6400, not a bad sale for this one. I'm seeing a positive trend in sales lately :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Yes, you're taking a risk when bidding sight unseen.

I nabbed me an eBay score several years ago thinking at least it'd be good for a parts car, but in my case, all I had to fix for the safety was one marker light! Sold my former '84 P with no regrets. Using the proceeds to upgrade...:good:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts