Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friends thinking of buying a 1981 Porshce 124 for 1500US$
Haven't heard it run or driven it but it has 80k miles(less than my supra, lots!) and said to have a new clutch and rebuilt 5 speed. I'd get him in a supra but can't find any around here that are reliable for $1500. Too bad! This porsche seems to be in pretty decent shape no major dents or visible rust and the paints ok, ugly "Burnt Sieanna" Brown tho'! Any sugesstions or things to look for? Brian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
watch out for repair costs... mechanics hear porsche and it translates into 55% markup with a lot of them :?

um, other than that, get a trust worthy mechanic to do an inspection, and look out for engine noises, rust... all the usual stuff on a 20+ year old car.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The 924 was a collaboration between Volkswagon and Porsche. The goal was to produce a Porsche that the little people could afford. The engine is built by Volkswagon and the body is designed by porshce. Not a bad little car but it suffered from the "not a real porsche because of the engine syndrome" but it is and they can be very quick. HTH

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
924's were actually Audi's I thought. The first ones were slow and wallowed badly. They didn't start getting better until the later years. The 944's were the better ones to have.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
1986.5 or 85.5 and up 944's are the much better choice, although still considered the "poor mans porsche".

if it's reliable and has been taken care of really well, it should be great. they handle really, really good (the 924). the 944, by comparison, is considered by some to be the best handling porsche ever made.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah it was teh 914 that has a dub engine in it but still i ant one .

for a 924 i wouldnt get one unless it as a turbo or gt-s cup car but those are super rare otherwise they are just crap an slow u need a 944 and teh 944 turbo will eat a 911 alive as well as a 944 s2 it looks like a turbo with same bumpers and such only it has a n/a motor

ide get a supra or a rex as even a rex is gonna be less expesnive to maintain than an old porsche but if the dude could find a 911 sc tehn well he should give it to me lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What the heck is a rex? The porsche is being sold by the 1st owner and seems to have just sit in a parking garage for some time. Other than some sun damamge to the dash and damage to the drivers seat foam the interior and exterior look fine. I checked for rust and will check closer today when I go with him to take it for a test drive. Sure I'd rather have a 911 also but we're lo0king for something for around $1500. It's going to be his first car anyway. I was thinking I'd rather have him get an 84 Camaro i saw for $1200 simply cause parts are cheap and its easy to work on. He just needs something thats reliable enough to get him back and forth from college basically.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you want reliable, i think the porsche would be more reliable than they chevy... but thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
82Ltype said:
What the heck is a rex?
it usually refers to one of 3 things: a honda CRX, a mazda rx-7, or in some cases, a SUbaru WRX.

in this case i'm sure he's referring to the rx-7.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
dogstar said:
if you want reliable, i think the porsche would be more reliable than they chevy... but thats just my 2 cents.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh boy - i've heard countless stories about old porsches. you have no idea.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
lol, and im sure ive heard just as many about older domestics, particularily camaros, which around here, are driven to death even BEFORE they have a chance to rust out
:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guess the argument over which is better will have to wait. My friend bought the Porsche, and even talked the owner down to $1250, so it wasn't that bad after all. Will need all new tires soon but has a New exhaust, and I drove it a little, clutch felt ok, still pretty new! Even got the Porsche shop manual along with it. It does need some TLC but it's always been garaged so NO rust but just a few small patches on the side panels. Hee hee hee, now I can practice my stick on that and then do a w-58 conversion to my supra! SWEET!
Any sugesstions for a good insurance company now?East Coast Especially.
Also, was looking to check the value of it but Kelly blue book only goes to 1983. Anybody know a site to check the value?
And could I use someones CARFAX account. The odometer is stopped at 73,000 but the owner said it actually has around 95,000 but I'd like to check regardless. THANKS, Brian

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
82Ltype said:
Any sugesstions for a good insurance company now?East Coast Especially.
Brian,

I have my Mk2 insured with Geico - cheap decent insurance, and I have 100/300/100 liability, with 100 ded on comp and coll, uninsured motorist coverage etc. Towing/Roadside Assistance and Rental car too. Would come out to about $70 a month or so - ($840 per year).

I have no clue what the insurance would cost on a 924. Get a quote and see: http://www.geico.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
uh in my case rex is rx-7

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get it now, Hmm never heard them called Rex before but I get it! 8) Let me know what you're looking for in a porsche. If you're REALLY looking for one, I'm constantly seeing the early 80s Porsches for sale in the classifed of The Washington Post. Try checking them out online at www.washingtonpost.com Brian

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Porsche/Audi/Volkswagen 924 as First Car???????? :shock: Dude-Can you keep us updated?-Wow-That is cast iron cojones-Clutch pieces $750-Alternator, water pump-Ah hell-You already Know! :wink: Mike

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, here is an update. My buddy just got his first case of sticker shock for parts for his porsche 924. $105 for the front windsheild wiper motor, and I don't know where he found that price. The cheapest I found, used online, was $154, $175, and $212. OUCH.
I will be attempting to put it on tomorrow, I have avauge clue how it should go on. Sigh...wish he'd have got a supra so I know how to work on it. I will gladly accept helpful hints. Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts