Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on just cutting the stock exhaust and welding on another to my mk2 5m.
I wanna know all options and in your opinions what exhaust sound better on the car?
I dont want it to sound too ricey(honda), but at the same time sound like im driving a v8(mustang).
what have most of you guys done and if possible a sound clip of it in idle and reved alittle.

Thank you James G.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i got a cat back exhaust done on my cress after having a rotted out muffler for the longest time, i upgraded from the stock size(1 7/8 i think) to 2 1/4, i was worried it would sound ricey, but it turned out sounding pretty beasty. you could probably go with 2 1/2 inch cat back, if you want examples, check out youtube, lots of videos

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well it's not a ricer or a mustang. If non turbo go 2.5 raptor or chimpy.
3 inch for turbo (or if your like me and will put up with resonating and backfiring)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used to use a magnaflow for my plymouth laser and my friends 300zx turbo, i believe it was 3'' on both. didnt sound ricey and it didnt sound so much like a muscle car, it purred at idles and was low on take off then got louder at higher rpms(like all cars) but i want something that sounds beefed up. was thinking of using a DC sports 3'' exhaust because it sounded nice on a eclipse i was gonna buy before i got my supra(thank god it broke down), but im hoping it gives it the sound im looking for. i will look up videos on youtube. I do want it to sound sexy, and when i finally turbo the car the bov will give it that ecstasy im always looking for.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have 2 1/4 stainless piping from the cat back to a 2 1/2 input Magna-flow with the duel-bent tip all stainless muffler. You'd LOVE it.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/supradad/******-84/Picture022.jpg
A perfect fit too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't know if they make them anymore, but the Dynomax Super-Turbos (the chambered mufflers) sound pretty nice on an N/A setup. I know Walker used to make them but vaguely recall they got bought out... That should tell you how long I've been out of the scene. lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 2 1/4 stainless piping from the cat back to a 2 1/2 input Magna-flow with the duel-bent tip all stainless muffler. You'd LOVE it.
A perfect fit too.
THIS!

Very silimar to my setup, I have a custom front pipe going to 2 1/4 piping, with a borla pro XS muffler where the cat used to be (can run without it where I live) going to a borla spitfire (2 1/4 inlet, twin DTM style 3" tips).

I freakin love it, a really nice tone, not too loud, but just a good purr at idle, rising to a nice note higher up.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Chimp 2.5 pipes,Raptor racing header,magnaflow converter. no muffler you will love it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's my 3" magnaflow. I have a 3" mandrel bent exhaust go along with everything. Has deep tone, sounds great while building revs, yet it settles out nice for freeway driving.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've got the Raptor 2.5 cat back with a Magnaflow twin tip on mine. It's nice. I love it because it doesn't sound like every Honda with a fart can. It looks like the 3" setup above. If you're Turbo, go 3", but i'm not so 2.5 for me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i have a cheaper setup obx header, no cat, 2 inch pipe to a cherry bomb. still sounds awesome. my muffler is getting old and drones a little bit on the highway, but at full throttle high revs it sounds epic

·
Founding Member
6,687 Posts
Exhaust is very subjective. I've spent more money on exhaust setups that I didn't like than the average mk2 is even worth. If you are young, you will probably like it loud and obnoxious. I like a car to be quiet and stealthy. Remember that what you are building is like a giant musical instrument. To get a nice sound, the size of the mouthpiece has to be matched to the size and length of the pipes. That ricey sound comes from using a trumpet mouthpiece with baritone pipes. Supra is more of a trombone sized mouthpiece and needs more medium sized piping. Turbo cars can get away with 3" pipes because the turbo is a sort of like blowing through a reed (turbine), effectively turning brass into a giant woodwind instrument, like mabe a contrabass or something (almost worth it for the sound quality alone). The muffler is like a mute stuck in the end of the horn. There are all sorts of styles that create all sorts of sounds. Chambered mufflers are designed to use noise to cancel noise, dividing exhaust pulses and reflecting them back on one another to hopefully cancel themselves out. They can be a crapshoot as they can sound great in one setup and drone on horribly in another with the only difference being slightly different distance from the engine. In any case, they are not so efficient and generally louder. The glass-packed or diffuser type (turbo) mufflers are a safer bet, but lots of variable can set up a drone at certain speeds. Here is what I know I like on a stock supra after spending thousands of dollars. A 2.25" system, high-flow cat, a single-inlet, 2-out 15" magnaflow muffler and a 4" diameter glass-pack halfway between the cat and muffler. That will growl when you romp on it but you can hold a conversation with your passengers and listen to a symphony most of the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.