Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
there are two gen of 7MGTE's the first gen runs from 87-88 and have the low impediance 440cc injector and revs 500 rpm higher than the 2nd gen 7M for crank is lighther... while the 2nd gen 7M has the high impediance 440cc injector and a heavier crank and it is fully counterweight balance that is why it is 500 rpm less but there was a rumor that a 2nd gen 7M has a slightly better turbo trim for the compensation of the heavier crank but I am not sure about this rumor...

·
Registered
153 Posts
3000cc MK2 said:
there are two gen of 7MGTE's the first gen runs from 87-88 and have the low impediance 440cc injector and revs 500 rpm higher than the 2nd gen 7M for crank is lighther... while the 2nd gen 7M has the high impediance 440cc injector and a heavier crank and it is fully counterweight balance that is why it is 500 rpm less but there was a rumor that a 2nd gen 7M has a slightly better turbo trim for the compensation of the heavier crank but I am not sure about this rumor...
All 7m's use low impedence injectors AFAIK.

Turbo trim is exactly the same, however the compressor intake is slightly larger, not by very much but does help it to make the extra power.

Also the later version has the HAC sensor built into the ECU, the early version had this as a separate unit.

HTH

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
any idea if the blocks are the same?
theres an 87 auto for sale minus turbo and upper ic pipes (who needs those anyways :p) for 500 bucks, tryin to get more info on it right now
id like to build that motor and use a few parts like the isc valve and a few other goodies, good idea or no?

my cars got an 89 7mgte in it from what i was told, is there any way to tell by looking at it?

thanks,
gamble

·
3,283 Posts
gamble said:
any idea if the blocks are the same?
theres an 87 auto for sale minus turbo and upper ic pipes (who needs those anyways :p) for 500 bucks, tryin to get more info on it right now
id like to build that motor and use a few parts like the isc valve and a few other goodies, good idea or no?

my cars got an 89 7mgte in it from what i was told, is there any way to tell by looking at it?

thanks,
gamble
grey connectors at the ECU are 89+, yellow are 87-88. Mine(87) also has the external high altitude sensor with yellow connectors.

block-wise, should be fine to use 89+ on an 87-88 block. I think both have dual knock sensors too.

Rob

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
89+ crank is better. both engines run about the same, i have both exhaust manifolds and am using the old one without the stiffing brackets and no cracks. id go 89+ but fwiw all the sensors are enterchangeable between the years. plug color changed but the only plugs that changed shape were the ecu plugs. ecu for 89 must go with 89 harness, 90+ are interchangeable.

·
3,283 Posts
williamb82 said:
89+ crank is better. both engines run about the same, i have both exhaust manifolds and am using the old one without the stiffing brackets and no cracks. id go 89+ but fwiw all the sensors are enterchangeable between the years. plug color changed but the only plugs that changed shape were the ecu plugs. ecu for 89 must go with 89 harness, 90+ are interchangeable.
I didn't know the 89 was specific... I figured tehy stopped that in 82....

now, what's the secret to timing this SOB!?!? I set it.. play with the CPS... retime it... reset the CPS... it's either way advanced or way retarded (no pun).... what gives?

Rob

·
3,283 Posts
Racefiend said:
Did you jump T1 and E1 on the diagnostic block?
yup, I did all that.. per the TSRM. cams line up perfectly. crank is at 0. CPS is installed per tsrm. start it, connect te1 and e1, idle drops slightly, start adjusting CPS, and it's either way advanced or way retarded. (best idle I can get is ~900 rpm)

it runs best at around where the 10 degree mark would be to the RIGHT of 0. :shock: :shock:

we got it to 10 BTDC once, and it threw up on the dyno, pissed coolant everywhere, ran WAY too hot, the dyno guy said it went 16+:1 A/F ratio... ugg... I think I'm gonna go cry now, wtf is wrong with this thing? :mad: :mad:

Rob

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
i bet the tps is out of adjustment. erics car showed 30+ deg btdc cause the tps was out on it. we readjusted it and problem solved. funny thing is car ran fine. lol yet with it set right if you tried to go to 20 it would die.

·
3,283 Posts
williamb82 said:
i bet the tps is out of adjustment. erics car showed 30+ deg btdc cause the tps was out on it. we readjusted it and problem solved. funny thing is car ran fine. lol yet with it set right if you tried to go to 20 it would die.
the weird thing to me is, it runs best at 20 Atdc.... the TPS tested ok, but I kinda had to pull on the linkage to get it to sit down and idle right...

I don't supose there's some easy way to get to that bottom screw on the TPS is there? otherwise, the TPS tested good per the TSRM...

Rob

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
gotta take the isc off or the tb off. i just leave the bottom screw out. makes things alot easier.

·
3,283 Posts
well, I just thought about it and I think I feel like a complete dumbass....

when we reset the timing at the meet, it was idling high.. so we set it at 10 degrees... with the tps out of adjustment there (IE, not pulling on the linkage so the IDL wire was working like it was sposed to and the ECU not seeing it was at idle...) probably put the CPS off a tooth since we're over compensating... blah blah blah... stupid me.... no supra for you!

damn, the ECU has that much control/range over timing?

Rob

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
williamb82 said:

All the plugs at the thermostat area are NOT!!! the same,87-8 are ,89-92 are,so it's NOT just at the ECU.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts