Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got the car the other week and i noticed coolant on the evap stuff. looked up and the sensor was wet some. went to loosen it and and it snapped. it was cross-threaded. SO now i need to get that whole housing. is i part of the sensor there or separate. what are the 2 little sensors as well. what is not working now that it is disconnected

second thing is the car been running fine. then my son said the temp was creeping at idle fine moving. i thought it might be that sensor being disconnected. it seemed to happen right after. so i had the car run and i noticed that the electric fan never turned on as well. how can i check the fan? i seen there are 2 plugs. one to the motor and one to the resistor. how can i check them both out?

sadly the main fan also "broke" and basically fell off. so i need a new fan. was thinking about just installing an aftermarket fan instead of the fan and shroud. thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks..so has nothing to do with the engine cooling then..

so how can i check out the aux cooling fan

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
thanks..so has nothing to do with the engine cooling then...
Yes it does - coolant flows through those sensors and valve to your heater core and back.

so how can i check out the aux cooling fan
What fan are you refering to? Your belt driven cooling fan mounted on the water pump? Just want to be sure - it's not real clear in your posts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it does - coolant flows through those sensors and valve to your heater core and back.

What fan are you refering to? Your belt driven cooling fan mounted on the water pump? Just want to be sure - it's not real clear in your posts.

1. Heater core and back... that should only control the heater functions and nothing to do with the engine cooling is what i am trying to say..IE my heater will not work and my engine will not overheat because that sensor is bad or not connected..

2. AUX FAN....that is the electric one that kicks in when the temps get to a certian point. the one in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
AUX FAN....that is the electric one that kicks in when the temps get to a certian point. the one in front of the radiator.

Its for the A/C condenser, it kicks in when it gets hot so it will not over heat the radiator.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the extra a/c fan

the extra fan in front of the rad just comes on with a/c not temp i think....and you have a clutch fan so why would you want a flex fan

·
Registered
818 Posts
the front fan is defiantely the a/c fan. unless you have your a/c on it does absolutely nothing besides get dirty.

as far as your clutch fan, i certainly recommend doing away with the stock fan and go with an after-market electric fan. it frees up a noticable amount of HP and as long as a wire doesn't burn up there really isn't much to worry about.

and for the over heating problem. make sure to carefully check for any slits and slices in the coolant hoses through-out the engine bay. the ones in the back of the engine the water is so hot there as it is plus the temp of the engine bay there are times that you won't notice any leaks. there are only a small amount of problems that can effect over-heating : radiator, thermo, pump, fan, or hoses. so it is quite easy on these cars to locate the culprit.

·
Registered
818 Posts
and i have the same relay closed off on my car using a bolt so unless you want the luxery of heat that valve is pretty much useless as long as it is not leaking.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
sadly the main fan also "broke" and basically fell off. so i need a new fan. was thinking about just installing an aftermarket fan instead of the fan and shroud. thoughts?
...this is why I asked above about which fan you're talking about.
The AC condensor fan won't be causing you any problems but if you're talking about the cooling fan then you can replace it with an electric or two, no problems - hit up search - it's been covered a few times over the years, some even have pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
1. Heater core and back... that should only control the heater functions and nothing to do with the engine cooling is what i am trying to say..IE my heater will not work and my engine will not overheat because that sensor is bad or not connected...
Your cooling system is pressurized. You said it was leaking there. Leaks lose pressure and if the cooling system isn't pressurized it may cause the temps to rise so yes it does have something to do with your engine cooling.
Your heater is a radiator, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone, i am guess the fact that the clutch fan was probably spinning internally and not rotating with the engine as fast was the final result on the over heating. i put in a electric fan and removed the clutch fan and car temps work like a champ. i set it up to turn on at 185 (starts just as it hits 1 bar above 50%) and turns off when it goes 1 bar below 50% now i just need to get that heater valve and all will be set thanks to all those that posted..

·
Registered
448 Posts
that what a clutch fan does

thanks everyone, i am guess the fact that the clutch fan was probably spinning internally and not rotating with the engine as fast was the final result on the over heating. i put in a electric fan and removed the clutch fan and car temps work like a champ. i set it up to turn on at 185 (starts just as it hits 1 bar above 50%) and turns off when it goes 1 bar below 50% now i just need to get that heater valve and all will be set thanks to all those that posted..
the clutch fan only spins a s fast as the engine when it is warm when not warm should spin semi freely

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it was spinning internally then separated....

IE the damn thing broke in 2 parts......

thats why i replaced it with an aftermarket fan instead

1 - 18 of 18 Posts