Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching my Heater issue I found that no vacuum was getting to the Heater Control Valve. After further exploration I found that this canister was the culprit. Apparently it is stopped up. I can bypass it and I have vacuum to the Heater Control Valve and, more importantly Heat. Vacuum goes in but doesn't come out. Does anyone know what this is used for? Can it be permanently bypassed; and if so, what will no longer work?

The canister in question is the small one in front of the Charcoal Canister on the right fenderwell. In the pic below it is black, but was originally gold.

Any assistance is appreciated, as always.

See pic below.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
It's an accumulation canister for the vac system with a 1 way valve. Handy with turbo cars to keep the boost pressure out of the vac system for the heater controls etc.

You can bypass it, but you might have some interesting issues with the heater controls and a few other items connected on the outlet side of that container under low vac conditions.

It is easy to clean out and fix up.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I learn something new each day...

Okay, so now we know that the little gold canister is actually a vacuum accumulator chamber and is designed to regulate vacuum to external components (such as Heater Control Valve) during those times, such as heavy acceleration, when the vacuum is low. I assume the same can be said when vacuum is high.

Since vacuum is basically the absence of anything then I guess one could say that this chamber regulates nothing. Important nothing, but nothing, nonetheless.

The important lesson learned here is that the only thing inside this canister is a one way valve. This prevents drawdown of vacuum for those times when the engine is not producing enough. If the input line is connected to the output, then one would receive no vacuum to the all important Heater Control Valve and other vacuum related components.

So there, I admitted it! I had the lines reversed. Another duh moment in my Supra restore!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
this chamber regulates nothing. Important nothing, but nothing, nonetheless.
Even worst, in hydraulics/pneumatics, it is called an accumulator => so it does not regulate 'nothing', it accumulates it !!! :laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Yet, in reality, a "perfect" vacumn is impossible. So you are "regulating" and "accumulating" something, its just less stuff than everywhere else...:eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Beam me up Scotty...it weird here :zzzzz:
Scotty's in the hearafter now Mark, so it may take a while for your request to get through to him. :^)

While your waiting for the beam command to come through, are these vacuum canisters for the MKII's still available parts wise? Cost??

And to the other poster(s), what is the 'simple' way to clean and check these? Mine is original on my '85 and has been cleaned (exterior) when I cleaned the entire engine bay, but would like to do a proper cleaning/check on it before I get the engine back in (whenever that eventually happens...).

Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Fill it with degreaser (detergent style that is ok to soak rubber in), leave overnight.

Sometimes the middle vac line nipple along with the metal around it that is kind of soldered on will come detached and the diaphragm will come out - clean them up by hand, spray the inside with paint or cold galvanizing compound, let dry, and JB weld the 'cap' back on.

If one of the vac nipples is clogged, use compressed air and brake cleaner to clean it out before filling with the degreaser. You can even just soak the whole thing if it is filled so it sinks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts