Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My apologies for the newbie question....

I am looking at a 1985 Supra MKII P-type. However, this engine does not look exactly like the other 5GME engines I have seen in such. It supposed to be the factory original engine. For example, I have not seen any that have the painted red areas before?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,922 Posts
The red on the valve covers might just flake off eventually..
.... you could paint them back, black as it was.

·
Founding Member
6,769 Posts
Why? Some manufacturers like Lotus used to install red valve covers to denote their higher compression/higher performance motors. The seller of this Supra was not going to fool anybody but himself on the 5m, but perhaps he had fun pretending.

On the valve covers, you need to remove them, strip all the paint off and reapply the black crinkle paint finish (there's multiple threads on our forum with how-to instructions) then reinstall. It can be done in a weekend as long as you can get the wife out of the house and the weather allows you to open the kitchen windows.

The upper timing chain cover I would not try to remove the red paint as you would likely only do damage to the plastic underneath. Instead, I'd suggest to just scuff it with a scotchbrite pad to give it a key and repaint it black.

The power steering pulley was originally an iridescent cadmium plating. I don't know how to remove the paint without damaging the cadmium plating. Real cadmium plating is hard to find anyone who does it anymore because the chemicals involved are highly toxic and highly regulated. What I do is to re-plate such parts in zinc and then dip them in a yellow-chromate solution to approximate the original cadmium finish. There are even some tricks to kind of age it to make it look like its been in there for 40 years. You could spend about $600 to buy all the junior chemistry set stuff to DIY, but unless you are going to do it a bunch, better to find a local plating shop and have them do it. Eastwood sells a set of three spray paints that, applied skillfully, are supposed to mimic the look of cadmium, but its so unrealistic that its become something of a car show joke so don't waste your money on that. If originality if of no concern, may be best to just paint all the pulleys the same neutral color like black or grey as most people wouldn't know that black pulleys weren't stock.

You also want to replace the missing fan shroud on that one and its a hard part to find. There's some unidentified wire on the right hand side, but other than the amateur red paint and missing fan shroud, doesn't look too bad.

Reactions: skidvd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why? Some manufacturers like Lotus used to install red valve covers to denote their higher compression/higher performance motors. The seller of this Supra was not going to fool anybody but himself on the 5m, but perhaps he had fun pretending.

On the valve covers, you need to remove them, strip all the paint off and reapply the black crinkle paint finish (there's multiple threads on our forum with how-to instructions) then reinstall. It can be done in a weekend as long as you can get the wife out of the house and the weather allows you to open the kitchen windows.

The upper timing chain cover I would not try to remove the red paint as you would likely only do damage to the plastic underneath. Instead, I'd suggest to just scuff it with a scotchbrite pad to give it a key and repaint it black.

The power steering pulley was originally an iridescent cadmium plating. I don't know how to remove the paint without damaging the cadmium plating. Real cadmium plating is hard to find anyone who does it anymore because the chemicals involved are highly toxic and highly regulated. What I do is to re-plate such parts in zinc and then dip them in a yellow-chromate solution to approximate the original cadmium finish. There are even some tricks to kind of age it to make it look like its been in there for 40 years. You could spend about $600 to buy all the junior chemistry set stuff to DIY, but unless you are going to do it a bunch, better to find a local plating shop and have them do it. Eastwood sells a set of three spray paints that, applied skillfully, are supposed to mimic the look of cadmium, but its so unrealistic that its become something of a car show joke so don't waste your money on that. If originality if of no concern, may be best to just paint all the pulleys the same neutral color like black or grey as most people wouldn't know that black pulleys weren't stock.

You also want to replace the missing fan shroud on that one and its a hard part to find. There's some unidentified wire on the right hand side, but other than the amateur red paint and missing fan shroud, doesn't look too bad.
Thank you for your very informal/helpful reply!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My apologies for the newbie question....

I am looking at a 1985 Supra MKII P-type. However, this engine does not look exactly like the other 5GME engines I have seen in such. It supposed to be the factory original engine. For example, I have not seen any that have the painted red areas before?
It's just been already painted. You can use a paint remove on the valve covers but I'm not sure if you can in the plastic timing cover ( you could sand it down and paint it with crinkle pain like i did on my covers). If topic, could you tell me what car your radiator is out of? I know it's not stock because it has straps holding it down. If you have the brand and product number, could you share that? I'm looking for an alternate radiator that fits & the one you have on looks like a perfect fit. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
85 P-type
34 Posts
It's just been already painted. You can use a paint remove on the valve covers but I'm not sure if you can in the plastic timing cover ( you could sand it down and paint it with crinkle pain like i did on my covers). If topic, could you tell me what car your radiator is out of? I know it's not stock because it has straps holding it down. If you have the brand and product number, could you share that? I'm looking for an alternate radiator that fits & the one you have on looks like a perfect fit. Thank you for your time.
Good catch on the radiator! Looks like a modern OEM rad with plastic tanks. I'm Also interested in knowing what application that is from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, this is not my car (only one I am looking at), so I am not aware what manufacturer or model number is on the radiator.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The end tanks and hold-downs are very MK3 Supra...

--BillyM
I agree that definitely looks like MK3 material. I am curious though on what upper rad hose they are using. I can't make out the part number in the picture. I had a hard time finding a hose for my set up because the stock Mk2 upper hose doesn't quite fit a MK3 rad. The bend is not correct since the fill neck on the MK3 is in a different spot. I'm not 100% happy with the hose I currently have. One end is too big in diameter and had to crack down extra tight on the worm clamp for it to seal and not leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts