Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the engine in my 85 supra and figured it would have a blow headgasket because it has been overheating for along time but it did not, the HG looked just fine and I don't see anything else wrong with the motor has 160k miles on it and you can still the cross hash marks on the cylinder walls, everything looks really good in it for that kind of mileage. Now I'm afraid to get the thing rebuilt not knowing what the problem could be. Do you guys have any idea what else to look for before I sink a bunch of money into the motor.

thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would always boil over after I drove it and turned the motor off and on the highway it would over heat slowly keep going higher and higher until I would slow down or turn the heater on unless it was really hot out side then there was nothing I could do. The car ran fine the valve seals leak but other then that the car ran great. I just figured it was the head gasket because everything else looked ok, I changed the thermostat and check the water pump flushed the engine more then once check the radiator. What else is there. could I have a clog in the engine? what are the chances of a crack in the block or head. I notice on when I was pulling the head off around the next to last back two head bolts there was some white stuff looked like it was grow on the head and on the cam towers. I have some pictures I can get one up tonight if someone would like to see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
it might be a bad radiator. I had a 81 toyota pickup that had a pretty clean looking radiator and I kept the system clean but it kept overheating on the interstate. It turned out being a bad radiator. With a bh, you useally loose coolant slowly and not necessarily overheat (or maybe I am wrong, someone can correct me if I am. I won't hold it against you) but radiators are a expensive item to replace if I am wrong so if you find other things it could be that are cheaper, try them first. Good Luck!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like a bad rad to me. I would change the rad and thermostat.

While you have the head off at least have the valve stem seals replaced and put a new headgasket on. You will be grateful when the car doesn't burn any more oil or doesn't begin to burn oil in the next few thousand miles

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are my chances of my valves needing to be replaced. I have the motor out and will be taking the head in soon.

·
Registered
351 Posts
also check the fan clutch.

If the engine has not been overheated bad for very long it should still be alright internally.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Chances that your valves would need to be replaced are slim, unless you have some bent valves, can happen, not too likely.

If you want have the head gone over, regrind valves and seats and new seals it wouldn't hurt. Have the head checked for flatness or warpage.

Then you will know everything in the head is good including the valves if that suits you.

Fan clutch could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, there's a good chance your rad is partly clogged. I believe this is what's happening with my '83 Blupra, although you seem to have a worse case then I do. I too first thought it was a BHG, but there's no oil in the coolant, no anti-freeze in the oil, the spark plugs have no white residue and there is no white residue on the exhaust tip either. I've flushed the system, changed the thermostat, had it pressure tested and even power flushed the entire system at a rad shop, yet it still overheats. So why do I think it's the rad? Because when I let the car warm up there's a section of the rad where I can place my hand on and it never feels heat. The rest of the rad might be piping hot, but one section, about 1/4 of the rad, always stays cool.

So I'm convinced it's the rad, and it could also be the same for you. You could try taking it to a rad shop and get them to do a reverse power flush on your rad itself (not the entire system). I would do that too, but don't have any cash right now to spend as I'm kinda broke (even though it's probably dirt cheap to do). Instead what I'm gonna do is take my rad to a buddy's shop who has an ultra-sound blind cleaner, who tells me it should be powerful enough to clean my rad (he's used it to clean AC condensers). If it works I'll post back my results.

Good luck!

- Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
most shops charge around $40 to flush a radiator.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the input I'm feel alot better now and also think it is probably my Radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts