Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've started looking around at tires for the new wheels I bought (in shipping now)

They are 16x8 0 offset in the rear
16x7 +18 in the front.

I'd like something Wide in the back around the 245+ range 255 would be better. Front I am open to suggestion, 225 minimum on the 7" wheel I was thinking. For now I just want to get a set of well priced street/sport tires to mount on the wheels, with a good tread wear rating ~300-400. I'm not concerned with the width as much as the profile, on a 255ish tire, whats a NICE sidewall to run on the supra, 50? front and back?

I'm posting to see what you guys have tried and found to work/look proper. I looked a bit on tire-rack, good prices nice tires.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Jamie I would first look at this link.

What gear ratio are you running in the rear end? '84 is 4.10. If you want to run your car as if it's got a 3.73 without changing the diff you can use a taller profile tyre.

If you have a 4.10 on stock tyres and want to drive as if you have a 3.73...

(rear end ratio A/rear end ratio B)xwheel diameter A=wheel diameter B

(4.10/3.73)x24.6=X
X=27.04"

If you have a 4.10 on stock tyres and want to drive as if you have a 4.30...

(rear end ratio A/rear end ratio B)xwheel diameter A=wheel diameter B

(4.10/4.30)x24.6=X
X=23.46"

If you want to run stock ratio, front 225/50-16 and rear 245/45-16 or slightly taller 255/45-16.

Tread wear on tyres, the lower the number the stickier they are. Ran everything at one time or other. Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Dunlop. I ran tread wear 50 one year, Pirelli PZero. Amazing, but found every different Pirelli tyre to follow the road more and to crack..... Not a big fan of Goodyear. I really like Yokohama and Bridgestone though.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Sir! Yes I have taken into consideration the wheel size ratio, my diff is a 4.30. But I will most likely be swapping that out for a 3.73 in the near future. I'm not so worried about what my needle reads because of the fact that I'm going real superficial on this one and going for the look and quality of the tire. (flame suit on lol ;)) I want to know what would fit the best under the arches with no issues and what would look best.

If I went 255, a 40 side wall would look appropriate? And for the treadwear thats exactly it, stickier tires tend to wear out faster. We ran some sticky toyo proxeys on the MR2 and they were done in 1 season of JUST street driving! For now the supra is going to be used more on the road than on the track, so I will sacrifice the extra grippyness for something that will in the long run last longer.

I'll check out some Yokohama, Pirelli and Bridgestones to see what they have in those sizes. Its pretty much just the sidewall ratio I am unsure of in the front and the back.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Looks like no tyre options in 255/45-16 anymore and only a few in 245/45-16. More in 245/50-16 and lots in 225/50-16. Is the 16" tyre going the way of the 14"? Are things changing that quick?

I would go with 45 series.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Im looking to buy used tires off craigslist or this site if youre in Portland, Oregon. How do I know what types will fit my 99 outback limited?
Right now the tires I have say: P20570R15
Find out what your stock tire size is, and then go to one of the many sites that let you compare different tire sizes. Go to Google (it is an amazing tool, that should be used more often) and type in "tire calc".

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Looks like no tyre options in 255/45-16 anymore and only a few in 245/45-16. More in 245/50-16 and lots in 225/50-16. Is the 16" tyre going the way of the 14"? Are things changing that quick?

I would go with 45 series.
yep, fraid so. To be honest I wouldn't recomend anyone buy 16s anymore for these cars, the tire selection is really drying up. 205s in 16 still have good prices and selection, and 225/50-16 isn't too bad either, but theres really nothing for good selection and pricing any wider then that. I'll stick with my 225/50-15s till those have completely dried up (they're on their way out too sadly) then I'll have to get 17s for all of my cars, retarded!

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Seamus, I'll be running 16s for a while regardless. Wheels are not too costly and I like the tyre selection that is still available. Decent DOT legal race rubber too.

16" tyres will not be gone till 14" and 15" are no longer available.... I hope anyway.:sadbanana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts