Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I had my back seats down, and my entire car filled with junk that didn't sell at our garage sale last weekend. I'm not sure what the weight was, but it included boxes of books and an entire encyclopedia set.

Second of all, remember that I have a naturally aspirated 6MGE, and my rear diff. from Junkie is the one with more torque (3:31??).

So I stop at a stop light on 44th in Lynnwood, WA, a suburb just north of Seattle. I was southbound, just after passing under I-5 and before Lynnwood changes to Mountlake Terrace.

I never go even one mph over the limit in Lynnwood, one of the most fascist cities in the nation, with cops and a judge under pressure by a money-hungry town to give out massive tickets, and never-ever give you a break. So racing is very risky and stupid (more than normal) in Lynnwood.

There are 16 surveillance cameras at every intersection in Lynnwood (not an exaggeration!) and the dozen busiest intersections are "photo enforced," bringing in extra millions of $$ per year in ticket revenue to this authoritarian town.

But on the Mountlake Terrace border, Big Brother is not watching so much. So as I stop for the light, I look to my right, and I see a young man looking at my car with a sideways glance, and a mirthful smirk on his face. It was the kind of sarcastic smile that says "you aint got shit." I assume he was one of the countless ignorant Americans that think the MkII is an aging, slow, heavy Japanese "luxo-boat" --like the NA MkIII's!:laugh:

Only after I saw this young fool's mirthful smirk, did I look at the primer-black vehicle he was in. It was also old, and fairly rare these days: an eighties Volkswagen Rabbit, but the one where VW took out the rear end and made it a ridiculously small "pickup." It's not a truck. It's a Rabbit with a bed. What do you call it, a pickup car? Are those Rabbits FWD??

Anyway, I thought, "What is he thinking?" I wasn't going to gun it at all, unless he did. But I was ready. Sure enough, when the light turned green, he gunned it. Since I hesitated, he had a fraction of a second head start.

I caught up to him immediately in first gear. Oh, did I mention that the light was at the base of a steep upward hill? The Rabbit was somewhat keeping up with me, until I shifted to 2nd.

Yeah, all you 7MGTE guys can laugh at my small victory, but when I shifted to 2nd and chirped the tires, and the ass kicked out just a little, and I totally pulled on him, and then he totally let off and pretended he wasn't even racing, I felt proud of my old NA 6MGE, and thought, "One more less ignorant fool that learns to respect the old MKII !!"

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Curt you need to get a rabbit decal with x's for eyes for the kill!!!

D

·
0 Posts
well played

another one for the books. i cant wait to have a 6mge again....OOOOH the power

·
Registered
139 Posts
a win is a win, but why race a rabbit truck?? he should have been embarrased to be beside an MK2 in a rabbit truck anyway! I thought all of those things were dead and gone! It is shame enough to drive one, let alone try to race someone, thats the confidence of youth right there, without the benefit of age and treachery! Most of the kids around here think an MK2 has a twin turbo stock, they have no idea whats under the hood. THere are so few around here that most dont even know what it is! While I love my car, usually dont race anyone, its pretty slow and now suffers from a prety serious rod knock so I have parked it till I figure out if I want to keep it or do a motor swap or just rebuild the 5m. Sucks about all the traffic cams and cops being jerks around there, we have a little town near here that is just like that.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Thanks for not roasting on me guys!

I wonder how my NA MkII would do against a 1985 NA 280ZX??
I know that I beat a 280z last night coming home for picking some stuff up at Wally-World.....

But way to hand it to one of these new kids that think anything they drive is the fastest thing on the road.

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
LOL no such thing as an '85 280zx. In '85 it was 300s. 1982 was the last year for the 280zx and some of them are turbo, but even then, close race.

6M <3

·
Registered
139 Posts
2 83 MK2s Ptypes

I Have 89 300zx Mk2s Pull Harder Drift Better Vg30 Is A Truck Motor A Z Is A Heavy Car

·
Registered
906 Posts
Second of all, remember that I have a naturally aspirated 6MGE, and my rear diff. from Junkie is the one with more torque (3:31??).

Yeah, all you 7MGTE guys can laugh at my small victory, but when I shifted to 2nd and chirped the tires,
Thanks for not roasting on me guys!

I wonder how my NA MkII would do against a 1985 NA 280ZX??
Nice way to get me to log in !!! My PERSONAL SET OF 3.73'S on LOAN "f'n awful long loan" getting flogged to hell and back ... THANKS :mfinger:

LOL no such thing as an '85 280zx. In '85 it was 300s. 1982 was the last year for the 280zx and some of them are turbo, but even then, close race.

6M <3

83 was last year for 280's, 84 first year of 300's ...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
rabbit pick ups were called caddy's. most of the ones ive seen were diesel and slow as shit. barely make 100hp i think. pretty sweet though little pick up though. id rock one. and yes, they are fwd. not really an impressive kill though...at all. unless he had a vr6 under the hood, but it doesnt sound like it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
sorry to correct you but 83 was the last year not 82.

.................:sarcasm:

6M <3

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
83 was last year for 280's, 84 first year of 300's ...
sorry to correct you but 83 was the last year not 82.

.................:sarcasm:
Only missed being the first one to say it by 2 days, darn. Maybe your should actually read the whole thread before posting next time:sarcasm:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just barely got my 280ZX running again. I was looking to scrap the project and invest in putting a 2UZ-FE V8 in a liftback Celica : )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts