Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the supra was running fine, oil leak fixed, new rear brakes, new tires, cleaned up....and yesterday the starter crapped out. Honestly, if I hadn't just dropped a bunch of cash into it, I'd get rid of it. I'm a little pissed off.
Anyway, later this week I'll have my mechanic take a look, but I was wondering if anyone out there has had their starter replaced, and what the damage might be?
Of course tomorrow we're closing on a new house, so my cash supply is..non-existent right now!
Thanks in advance, Keith :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
new starter cost

Keith i just put a starter in my 84 and it cost me $69.21 from auto zone then you get the $20.00 core charge back when you bring in the old one. So i would say $50 should do it. This one bolt took me the longest time to get it out but after that all good. Only two bolts holding it in anyway. one connector and a ground wire. someone did a nice write up on the removal and thats what i followed. i will try and find it for ya.

jeremy

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah that one bolt is a bugger, it took four extentions, three hands, two sets of eyes and a u-jointed socket to get it out.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
is the starter really that crapped out... most of the time the copper leads are burn due to use.... take out the 3 8mm bolts on the starter solenoid and see if both of the copper leads are burn and worn out... if it is... check on your toyota dealer for this aprt and it will run you about $10.00.

That is what happened on my starter... it just clicks and does nothing... won't even engage the gear... it is basically not giving a 12V connection to the solenoid

check it and it is worth a try and save some dollars... this has been a problem on toyota starters

note: when taking out the starter... get a long (i mean long) extension about 3 feet and a swivel socket or equivalent... lower the tranny mount and let the tranny and motor tip so that you will have room for the extension to pass cause it is really tight in there and have a visegrip pliers hold the bolt on the stater and use the swivel socket to loosen up the bolt on the starter while the vise grip holds the nut

if it is a automatic... it is really gonna be really, really tight

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have a spare starter laying around. Could it just be the brushes in the starter? if no I would be willing so sell you mine fairly cheep. It is pretty new.

Will

·
Registered
793 Posts
When mine died, it was as described- the copper connections were very corroded and nasty. I so happened to have another toyota starter, from an 87 camry, but the connectors inside the solenoid were identical. Actually, the solenoid itself was identical, but from Autozone they wanted like 129 bucks for the solenoid by itself, and 69 for the entire starter WITH solenoid. :?: Dont ask me how that works. So if you cant find any supras, 3sfe-engine camrys are identical, and a little more numerous than supras. The job itself is pretty easy, just make VERY VERY SURE that the contacts DO NOT touch the metal starter housing. When you are tightening the nut that holds the contacts on, make its snug but not over tight because the insulators are plastic and WILL crack, causing a short. An UNFUSED short directly to the battery via a thick battery ccable. They will start on fire. How do I know this? :)
Good luck!

Edit: A trick I found for the bolt removal, after haveing to remove it 4 times, I worked it to a science :) Lay on top of the engine. Use a regular open-end wrench and a ratcheting box-end wrench. The space is very tight, but it is much easier to access from the top side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts