Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or has there been a consistent increase of ricers, drifters, and other fools on here?

What happened to people like Dean Anderson, Giacchi, Sidman, Dr. Eng, and the rest of us - who couldn't care less about what color you painted your plastic timing belt cover.

Its seems like every other post is about some stupid ricer modification, or how someone wants to destroy a low mileage Supra to "drop in a 350 V8."

Not to mention the drifting and Fast & Furious crowd.

These cars are falling into the wrong hands.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
not just the forum moreover, our hobby. No appreciation or understanding for the cars.

It's been going on for years since that stupid movie came out. I thought I was safe from it with my beloved supra. That was one of the appealing things to me...the crowd seemed to be generally older. They are now starting to realize that they can get the "supra" name a lot cheaper and are invading our little sanctuary.

I guess all we can do is stick together.

or die trying.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Im still here, and I have to disagree. While I dislike the ricer/drifter culture, I do believe there is room for all of us.

I dont think we have the right to make this site a "purist-only" society. If the younger kids wish to congregate here to share their philosophies (or lack thereof), thats fine with me.

Besides each time another mk2 gets hacked/shredded/riced, that makes my car more rare.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

And Moose... you kill me bro. Wheres that thread where you said you were going to smoke out your tails? LOL.

·
Registered
15,024 Posts
i dont see it like that. there are very few ricers or drifters. and when you think about how many are on supraforums, thats a blessing, and as for the v8 swaps into mkii's, why not. its diff and the car will deff be faster. id rather see a yota v8 in there, but if they prefere a chevy, who cares, its their car.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Its pretty common really IMHO, you get bored after awhile. You keep hearing the same questions over and over and over again. There is never much new stuff coming out to keep you interested. Then to top it off the new stuff is usually pretty dumb. At least for me that is my feelings. Its a pretty common occurance on other forums as wells.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
Its pretty common really IMHO, you get bored after awhile. You keep hearing the same questions over and over and over again. There is never much new stuff coming out to keep you interested. Then to top it off the new stuff is usually pretty dumb. At least for me that is my feelings. Its a pretty common occurance on other forums as wells.
Yup when the same questions get asked over and over again Like "what wheels can i put on my car" or can i put a 7mgte in my supra. I don't know why you have a problem putting a V8 in a supra? I'm with will i would rather it be a yota V8 but if there not using it for handling and there using it for drag why not put a chevy V8 in it?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i have no problem with people increasing power, if we were all purists we would say turboing our non-turbo cars is blasphemy too.

I'd rather see an aluminum V8 so that it has better handling, thats all i wanna see, lol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
CELICA XX said:
Is it just me, or has there been a consistent increase of ricers, drifters, and other fools on here?

These cars are falling into the wrong hands.
Don't you see this a as a compliment to your self and our form? If these poeple are here and staying that is because they are getting something out of this fourm. That means we are all here for the very same reason. If all we ever did was talk about production codes and special dealer stripes from 1983 non of us would be here! As for the cars falling into the wrong hands any one who buys a 20+ year old car dose it for a reason cuz they are cheap, but killer cars. This "younger crowd" coming here gives us a chance to teach them and help them grow, calling people "fools" or segrigating the fourm is going to be the down turn of this fourm! So blaming the youth is just ignnorant, because this post will do far more damage then one about drifting.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
This isn't exactly new here either. These cars have been cheap for a long time. What I find funny is that mint mk2s go for the same or more then your average condition mk3 turbos now lol.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i like the fact that the forum DOES get new blood.

ive seen forums wither up and die because they failed to appeal to new members, at least the new owners are coming here and posting.
everyone asks the same questions, yeah, well, get used to it... happens in real life just like it does on the internet.

i for one cant wait until the FAQ is done, i think that will solve a LOT of newbie questions if they are forced to read it (posting a link to the FAQ rather than answering automatically, for example)

on that note, does anyone need help on the FAQ, any sections that arent covered Malloy?

dont hate, educate

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I see the relative increase in membership and online-owners as a good and bad thing. i watched a similar situation happen with the rise of NorthwestNissans. In the beginning, they were a small enthusiast website that was a very close knit community. Now they have thousands of members across Canada and the US, and meets with hundreds of cars showing up. This occurs as the cars became more popular and accessible. Now there's no way to keep on top of the posts on teh website on a daily basis. There are so many people, the amount of information and questions swelled out of control.

Just be glad we don't have some silly magazine telling us we have a "truck engine" and that the JDM tyte sr20 will save the day.

And more importantly - every time a mkii gets parted out, wrecked, or sent to the crusher, the ones remaining become that much more special. Maybe we'll never be worth as much as the Z's, but we'll certainly become a collector.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Well I can say it is a great thing that these ricer's and drifters are coming on. For a few reasons actually.

Maybe it will start and aftermarket back up for our cars. If manufacturers see enough people willing to buy parts for an MKII supra, maybe they will produce some of their fabled products.

Other things like experiences with products, and driferts showing us more about suspension set-ups can realy help the rest of us out.

If I were in to racing my car, I'd go for Auto-X, I wouldn't have a drag queen or drifter, but a well balanced car that will handle the turns, speeds, and bumps that are thrown at it.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
CELICA XX said:
Is it just me, or has there been a consistent increase of ricers, drifters, and other fools on here?...These cars are falling into the wrong hands.
Here in Australia, the MA61 still holds it's resale value so not many of these cars fall into those young people's hands. I am also young and could be classifed as one of those people. But I appreciate the rarety and specialness of the MA61.

I don't mind if a young person drifts the MA61 or rices it up. As one of you mentioned, it makes the car rarer. If there is enough demand on the car, it could increase the resale value like that of those AE85/86 Sprinter drivers who think they are all Tofu Delivery drivers (Intial D). Also we can learn from those people how they fabricate/alter things to suit their driving style.

At the end of the day, I don't care, as long as I don't get picked on by the Authorities for having a nice clean straight car that gets me from A to B without trouble. Who cares...

Finally, the occurance of MA61s getting damaged or written off, it means that my MA61 which sits in the garage will increase value and parts are comming more avaliable.

That's my opinion.

Cheers.

·
Founding Member
6,358 Posts
One thing y'all should all try is to visit forums for other model-specific car clubs that had similar production figures to the supra - Opel GT, Mercury Capri, etc. I think its sad to visit a forum and the last post was two weeks or two months ago. Its not that these other cars don't have a loyal following, they do, but they aren't getting the fresh blood that we are. We are really rather lucky. Lets welcome everyone who owns a supra and just brainwash them to our way of thinking.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
"forums for other model-specific car clubs that had similar production figures to the supra - Opel GT, Mercury Capri, etc. "

Prolly not many of them are left on the road compared to number of mk2s on road?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree that for the pure collectors, they should like people modifying the cars. Every time one is modified or crashed, the value of your all original car goes up.

The crowd does get younger, but what other option is there? Do you really want it to be a bunch of old farts with stock MK2s sitting around chatting?

This happened in another community, and eventually the senior crowd departed into a "invite only" type of forum. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts