Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

A little background on myself... I have been in to MK3's for around 9 years now. I currently own three of them. I have a few spare engines and have been toying with this swap for some time now.

What I'm wanting to know is what year MK2/MK1 Supra is best suited for a 7MGTE.

I want biased replies! :)

Thx...

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
It's all about the same. With the earlier model cars, you can get a higher geared rear. They also lack some extra wiring crap that really just gets in the way.

The mk2 is getting far more tried-and-true as far as suspension and brake upgrades go (required for the 7m swap) as well as replacement parts being easier to come up with for non-motor type things.

--billyM

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Hey Kenny, welcome to the darkside of the supras and cs.com. My biased opinion is get an 85 or 86. they look the best to me and you get a CEL in the cluster for the swap..easier for diagnosing. 84's have it to.

everyone else keep your flames to yourselves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of the CEL. Thanks for pointing that out!

Are the 85 & 86 transmissions stout enough for the 7MGTE or will I be looking at installing one of my r154's?

One last question. In regards to brakes...the MK3's can get away with using Cobra rotors and calipers. Is that the case with the MK2's or is it a different upgrade altogether?

Thanks everyone!

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
The 85-86 of course was the epitome of the evolution, i.e. it had all the cool features including things like a factory alarm and auto headlight shutoff. I always tended to like the 85 styling the best too, but that's only about 50% of us. The other 50% liked the earlier styling better. ;)

There's been lots of discussion on this forum already regarding driveline upgrades and how high you can go before its necessary. Brake upgrades too have been fully sorted, tho I'm afraid no easy aftermarket "brake kit" for the mk2 like there are for more popular cars.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
85 Supra, because I have 4 and love them :D

-CEL for diagnostics
-I like the sunshade/lower wing (only slightly better than the 7 / high wing)
-Brake Upgrades - George @ Raptor Racing sells a bolt on Wilwood BBK, you can go 2 piston using 26mm 1990 300zx NA Calipers (bolt on) WITH Mazda MPV Rotors (redrilled to 4 bolt), OR upgrade to Cressida Calipers (+ rotors ?? (not sure)) they have a bigger piston.
-The transmission choice is debatable. How much power do you want to put down? How reliable do you want it to be? Will you track/abuse the car? I went R154, but haven't really had great luck with transmissions (all used, and a questionably okay rebuild which cost me $800+ bucks). Honestly, even though I abuse my car, track it, drift it, shift lock/clutch kick it, I can say I almost wish I would have went W58, even with putting down 400hp & 390tq. WHY? Because they're EVERYWHERE, and they're CHEAP. Try finding an R154 that doesn't howl, or have issues or need rebuilt for less than $400 bucks. If you do, buy it up because it's a steal. And W58 shifts smoother too, FOR SURE.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Oh and if you're gonna upgrade the brake lines to SS Braided, get George's 6 line kit, it's worth it because of less fittings/less PITA when working on front struts/brakes etc. One less coupling to screw around with.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
if youre in Washington like it says in your sig. then your around a whole bunch of MK2 7mgte vampires. Get ahold of supraguy31, robert, he will give you the run down on everything you need. I know youre well known on SM and you know your stuff, but he can help you.

as far as the W58. rusty is right, lots of them around and they will hold 400RWHP no problem and 500RWHP if you dont beat on it. our weak link it the rear diff. can be fixed or helped with a solid spacer and a true trac.

so whats your goals and intentions with your 7mgte supra? I think youre in for a surprise coming from a piggy with a 7m to one of these with a 7m ;)

oh..george at Raptor Racing is the goods..fo sho!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha...Thanks guys! I can already see that this is a good group.

My power goal with a MK2 would be ~340 whp. I can easily achieve that without breaking the bank! As noted, the MK2 is a lightweight compared to the FATTY MK3 I'm used to. :) So the power-to-weight will be nicely welcomed.

If you're inquiring about my MK3, the plan is 500+whp.

As far as abuse...the occasional Autocross, infrequent 1/4 mile, and VERY frequent Street Abuse is what the MK2 would see.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
You asked about mark one and mark two. I've swapped into the '85 mark2 and the '81 mark1. The '85 is my favorite year, mostly for all the same reasons already listed above by others. I've kept the W58 in all three of the 7mgte '85's I've owned with no problems. When I did a swap in a mark 1, I just updated to a 5mge and a W58 from the old 5me and W50 - I thought the 7mgte might be too much for it, and for me going from the 5me to the 5mge in the mark 1 was a good fit but others have put a 7mgte in it too. Damon immediately comes to mind

·
Registered
155 Posts
Regardless of the year, there were minor diferences most of witch can be swapped to if you really prefer one over another, but first and foremost get the neatest cleanest straightest and least rusty one you can find and afford .:thumbsup:

good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Ha ha...Thanks guys! I can already see that this is a good group.

My power goal with a MK2 would be ~340 whp. I can easily achieve that without breaking the bank! As noted, the MK2 is a lightweight compared to the FATTY MK3 I'm used to. :) So the power-to-weight will be nicely welcomed.

If you're inquiring about my MK3, the plan is 500+whp.

As far as abuse...the occasional Autocross, infrequent 1/4 mile, and VERY frequent Street Abuse is what the MK2 would see.
W58 can do low 300's easy. I also think the 85/86s are the best, looks wise. Marks 1's I have no idea which is better for a 7M though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts