Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if a 1992 and 1996 1uzfe non-vvti engine are the same? Will they both work fine for a conversion? I see the earlier has a cold start and the later does not. Will it make a difference?

And what is the difference between the 5th digit being an "H" and a "U"?

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
As I recall, there are 3 different versions of the 1uz, each with a little more output and better tech. But I think 96 and later will be OBD2, which can complicate the swap for sure. Not an issue if you aren't running the factory ecu.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can someone tell me if a 1992 and 1996 1uzfe non-vvti engine are the same? Will they both work fine for a conversion? I see the earlier has a cold start and the later does not. Will it make a difference?

And what is the difference between the 5th digit being an "H" and a "U"?
The difference's in the engine will only depend on if you plan on using a factory ECU or aftermarket. If aftermarket then the rods and compression are really the only difference that matters. If using factory ECU then the sensors used and the amount of wiring is the difference. 91-94 are the easiest to wire in as they are OBD1 and not much is needed to run it. 95 is probably the hardest as it is a mix of OBD1 and OBD2. 96 is a little easier to wire in then 95.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Appreciate it y'all. Exactly what I needed to know. And before I go scrolling thru feeds to find it, wld either of y'all have the wiring harness conversion pin out? It will end up being an '85 mk2 and a '91 1uz. Just haven't gotten off my lazy butt to go searchin yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts