Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly brining mt 85' back to factory, and making various(not too difficult) upgrades along the way. If I'm not a stickler for ever itty bit of HP I can squeeze out of it ....YET.......Would it be beneficial in another way to upgrade the intake ???? :?:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Improved gas mileage can be a benefit, a more efficient and cleaner combustion is another. A good intake on an old motor can restore some lost power by allowing for a sometimes denser air charge that will burn hotter and remove old carbon deposits as well as lower emissions. You should run a 92/93 octane if you want to keep things as clean as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Upgrading the intake can be done from basic upgrades to modest and the most gains achieved would include exhaust mods as well ie:

depaneling the stock air filter housing check the FAQ
installing an OEM replacement K+N filter
free flow muffler Dynamax

installing a cone air filter
installing a intake pipe Rabid Chimp, Racetekengineering
Bored out Throttle Body
Extrude hone intake plenum and port match

Headers
2-1/4" to 2-1/2" exhaust with free flow cat
AFM mod 3 clicks counter clockwise
Larger 210cc injectors

Cams Elgin

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Also in many cases the stock intake is literally falling apart. Even if you have a little crack somewhere the car will run very poorly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very interesting, I've had two shops tell me that I have an intake leak, but nobody can find it. The surfaces seem to sealing fine, but I wonder if that old intake has a hairline crack somewhere...I've pulled it twice and resealed it to no avail. Perhaps it's time to scour the junk yards for a lower milage Cressida to donate one. Thanks for the idea! D-

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Check the bottom of your intake resonator. Sometimes the hard plastic will crack. Also check to make sure that your rubber couplers are closing properly on the plastic piping.

The vacuum lines to the top of the intake plumbing can also be cracked. Rubber on a car this old is at a point of dry rot.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Or just spring for the RabidChimp pipe, it looks cooler, sounds better, is more powerful, gets better gas mileage, and you will know you have no more intake leaks, its STEEL!!!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you can afford the Chimp pipe, I say go for it. Why not support the man who's fighting to keep the MkII aftermarket alive?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about a chimp pipe...........And mabey by helping out, he will be able to get that catback muffler system up and running...so then I can ship him even more of my cash.

Oh yea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts