Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not get rid per se, but how do I disconnect it from the intake manifold or the main fuel line? It's on an '84 5MGE. I'm trying to get the intake manifold off.

Here's a picture:

And it attaches to the injector rail here:

The bottom of the unit is connected to a rubber hose that attaches to the mail fuel line to the tank. The fasteners used to attach it are quite solid and I don't see an easy way to reattach them if I somehow pull the hose out. Also, I smell gas if I wiggle it too much. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Are you actually serious? Or is this a bad joke?

Please say it is a really bad joke before you get made fun of so bad that you will run away screaming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I genuinely don't know. If I had to guess, I would say fuel filter. And more relevantly, I do not know how to remove it from the injector rail. Forgive me, I've never torn an engine down before. I've looked in what seem to be relevant bits of the TSRM, but it's quite possible I missed the part that explains what it is and how to remove it.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It is the fuel filter.

The banjo bolt on the fuel filter are a huge PITA to get off of the filter though. If you just want to remove it from the fuel rail , just remove the pulsation dampener (the UFO looking thing) and the metal line will be able to be moved, just be nice to it, or you could break it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that's all I needed to know.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Also, if you are able to find a toyota with a 22re in it (celica or truck), you can take the metal line that goes from the filter to the rail and replace it with the soft line that the 22re's use (both use the same pulsation dampener and fuel filter) and either mount it back on the block, or on the strut tower.

I would also think about replacing that filter since it looks pretty old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. There's a whole bunch of stuff on this engine that need replacing. Incidentally, when I was removing the exhaust manifold, the manifold studs came out with the nuts still rusted in place. Should I replace the studs? It seems to me that if the nuts aren't tight enough where they are on the studs they won't seal when I put them back.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That would be a good way of thinking. And you want at least 2 studs on the head so it will be much easier getting the intake back on the engine. I get quite a bit of my replacement hardware like that from hardware stores, but I think you are up in Canada, so I would not be able to suggest a place to go. One thing that you may run into though is for some reason the bolt head/nut changes size and it will be a 13mm instead of a 12mm anymore.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you got fuel in your rubber tube connected to pipeline and then to end of intake plenum (front)
your fuelpressregulator is bad... (broken rubber inside)
your engine (cylender) will be overfloded with fuel . Fuel will ran through your vacum line into intake plenum and down i cylender...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts