Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with the 85mph max on my 83 supra's speedometer? In a lot of the pictures I have seen on websites the 83 speedometer goes up to 130. So why does mine not? Was that something they changed mid year?

(well, it is kinda fun to watch my speedometer max out, but it would be cooler to know how fast I was going!)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
IIRC they changed for 84. I have an 82 and I have swapped the cluster for a 130 mph cluster-much more satisfiying :)
-Wil

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
Usagisama 83' said:
So why does mine not?
It was late 70's early 80's Federal law for cars to have an 85mph speedo. It went with the whole 55mph speed limit laws. Just get an 84 and up speedo and swap it in, it is a direct swap.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yes, it is rather interesting to watch the needle getting pegged on the 85mph speedo, BUT DON'T FORGET!!!!! If you keep constantly pegging the needle all of the time, then eventually you end up killing the speedometer sensor in the back!!!! When that happens, then your Cruise Control stops working!!! When that happens, you have 2 options: 1. Only go up to 84mph so that you don't have to keep replacing the speedo sensor all the time (if you want to keep your original 85mph speedo). 2. Upgrade to the 130mph cluster.

The 130 mph speedo upgrade on the 82's - 83's are fairly common. Does not matter if it's the analog dash, or the digital dash, although it can sometimes be a little bit harder to find a 84 - 85 digital dash to do the 82 - 83 digital dash upgrade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm...I think my speedo may already be hurt, when I go from 0 to 25 mph the needlt jiggles a lot and doesn't give a good read, after 25 though it seems to even out and work ok. I'm not sure how acurate it is, I think its pretty close. Any way would a new 84 speedo fix that?

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
I had an 85 digital speedometer in my '83 Supra.

I had it coasting at 85 once...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Usagisama 83' said:
hmmm...I think my speedo may already be hurt, when I go from 0 to 25 mph the needlt jiggles a lot and doesn't give a good read, after 25 though it seems to even out and work ok. I'm not sure how acurate it is, I think its pretty close. Any way would a new 84 speedo fix that?
A wobbly speedometer needle can be caused by an old speedometer cable, or a chiped speedometer gear in the transmission.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ok guys, my speedometer used to squeek and bounce +/- 10 mph. Now it reads "zero" 95% of the time. Sometimes it jumps to 15 if I am on the highway. Of course, mileage is not being counted either.

I have looked under the search function, and I have three questions about where to begin.

1. Broken Gears in the cluster
2. Broken Speedometer cable
3. Broken parts in the transmission

Where should I start? Thanks!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'd start simple if it were me and pull the gauge cluster and make sure that the cable is plugged in securely into the back of the cluster. If it is, then I'd look for a break in the cable and go from there.

Leslie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts