Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got for new tires today and an alignment and the guy at the shop told me im going to need new bearings in the front. Do the bearings for our cars need to be pressed in and out or is there another way to do it such as use a large enough socket and tap them in? I want to do this as quickly as possible so im not outside forever being that it is sub zero in NJ right now

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
the fronts are easy - you just need some basic hand tools, a fish scale (the spring type - no, not kidding) the TSRM, and new bearings. A large socket, brass bar and/or seal driver kit is handy for putting in new seals. You will also want some zip ties or stainless wire or something to wire up the brake calipers so they dont hang on the lines when they are disconnected.

You will want to order both bearings for each side, plus a set of seals, and new cotter pins for the spindle nuts.

Oh, don't forget copious amounts of a good synthetic grease.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I got for new tires today and an alignment and the guy at the shop told me im going to need new bearings in the front. Do the bearings for our cars need to be pressed in and out or is there another way to do it such as use a large enough socket and tap them in? I want to do this as quickly as possible so im not outside forever being that it is sub zero in NJ right now
The bearings themselves just sit in there. You will need a punch and hammer to replace the races though, and you will also need a 30mm socket, wheel bearing grease, and new cotter pins. Then just read the TSRM for the rest.:thumbsup:

Edit: I was beat to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool thank you very much guys I will be on that this week bc it is supp to go above 40 so maybe I can be outside for a little bit wo freezing

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
the fronts are easy - you just need some basic hand tools, a fish scale (the spring type - no, not kidding) the TSRM, and new bearings.
the haynes manual doesnt say anything about the fish scale. they tell you to torque the nut down to 23 ft lbs, back it off, then tighten then nut with the socket in your hand. But, you are correct about the TSRM telling you to check the preload on the bearings using the scale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts