Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i did read the general outline...

but anyways I'm just wondering what you guys did to solve this problem, i got the 81 with the 3.73? with lsd. no pp.

and it will spin go a it sideways then stupid amounts of wheel hop. i need to get rid of that. i am planning on new tires and a set of rear struts. as well as springs. i am a suspension newb when it comes to these old rwd.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
no pp?? What's that?
He's referring to a MkI - pp is "Performance Package" - a toyota option package for the 1981 MkIs.

Biggest single thing to do is change to poly bushings on the rear axle link arms. Your old rubber bushings allow the axle to rotate slightly under load, when the tire breaks loose, the axle rotates back, momentarily regaining traction. When this happens in a cycle - i.e. rotate, tire spin, rotate back, tire grabs, rotate, tire spin, etc, the wheel starts to hop up and down.

Eliminating the ability of the axle to rotate (either through poly bushings or solid end links) will fix this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
shocks may help a little, but like kd said, it's because of the diff rotating. I have heard that the lsd diffs weren't that strong compared to the non lsds, I blew my '80 lsd diff last year because of wheel hop.
careful driving!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where can i find these poly bushings you all speak of?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
SuperPro & Energy Suspension both make poly bushings for the MkI.

The SuperPro p/n for the rear links is SPF0018K

I believe (but an not 100% sure) that the Energy Suspension number is 8.3109G

Raptor Racing can get you the SuperPro bushings (he is one of the sponsors listed to the right - between RabidChimp & Vancouver Toyota). He also has a vendor section here - you can pm or email him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts