Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason when I dont have in gear (and the engine is going, funnily enuff), the wheels are spinnig, slowly though, but when I rev the engine, they dont move faster. When I push the clutch in, they stop. The wheels move when I put them into gear etc.
I have no idea what is happening. What is broken? I just got this car, and have it jacked up. The wheel wasnt moving before when I had the rotor on, cos it was warped, but not that it is just the axel it is happening.

HELP

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
I can't imagine anything that would break and cause what you are witnessing but I can imagine that perhaps there is sort of a viscous coupling between rotating sets of gears inside the transmission such that even tho they are disengaged, they are close enough together with enough fluid between them to impart some movement from one rotating mass to another. I'll have to watch mine next time I have it jacked up, start the engine and see if does this too. My hunch is it probably does but I've probably just never noticed it before.

Phil D.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm

Yeah, I think it might be something like that, cos I dont have the rotor on it, so it doesnt really have much resistance. At least it is not something that is obviously wrong.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My 82 does the same exact thing when raised. My thoughts are just that there is no resistance, so it can turn a little. When on the ground it doesnt do it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
normal actually. My Supra does this as well, so does my AE92 Corolla. Every Civic Ive seen at work does this as well.

Its just that there is always going to be a little bit of drag in the tranny (lube, friction) that could cause the wheels to turn. Nothing to worry about =)

Aaron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts