8,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,925 Posts
Reactions: supra_toy

·
Premium Member
8,925 Posts
Gamble Thanks Sir!! I appreciate the props...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I tried moving from 17" to 15" wheels on my race Supra. Lower weight was an advantage, but there were several disadvantages for racing: not much choice of tires, much easier to lock up (and "flat spot"), and "gearing" with the 4.30 diff caused me to run out of revs on long straights. The 15s I used were Rota Grid Classic (15x9 0 offset). I had to use a 10mm spacer to clear the Nissan Z32 calipers, and ran 245/40-15 Hankook RS-4 tires.

I'm selling the wheels now with very low (or no) miles but some have cosmetic blemished from racing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone heard of Klutch wheels? Just came across these doing a lazy sunday morning ebay search for wheels to see if anything new was out there. Looks like they do custom offsets for what seems to be unsustainably cheap IMO.

Decent 80's style turbo wheels, not quite right for P types but close for the front: KM16 silver
Might be kind of late, but I remember seeing them and considering them before buying the XXR's on my car now (around early 2015 probably) so they've been around for a while (website says 2012). They used to have a handy wheel fitment calculator on their site iirc, something kinda like this one, but a bit simpler.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I tried moving from 17" to 15" wheels on my race Supra. Lower weight was an advantage, but there were several disadvantages for racing: not much choice of tires, much easier to lock up (and "flat spot"), and "gearing" with the 4.30 diff caused me to run out of revs on long straights. The 15s I used were Rota Grid Classic (15x9 0 offset). I had to use a 10mm spacer to clear the Nissan Z32 calipers, and ran 245/40-15 Hankook RS-4 tires.

I'm selling the wheels now with very low (or no) miles but some have cosmetic blemished from racing.

Yeah I'd definitely go with a taller rear end if you are going to go with that tire size. I've considered those tires soooo many times but I really didn't want to get into Miata diameters on a mk2. Even the 225/50-15s I currently run, which are a lot taller, I still ended up going to a 4.1 rear to keep the revs where I want them. Though I miss the off the line grunt with the 4.3s for sure.

I guess you run streetable tires for enduro. Lots of good race only tires for 15s in slightly taller diameters last I looked, but its been a little while.

·
Registered
506 Posts
nice, looks just like mine lol

as i said before, i prefer the meaty tires, there just arent that many options for 15 inch tires. let alone in north america and then getting them to the island here. im not close to the border to bother with that non sense and the sea plane that does it here is only open mon - fri and i work like a normal person, so my options have been limited.

i also hate the cheaper tires and how they look on the rims as well. i havent posted much because i havent really done anything, other than what ive posted in my build thread. with the longer LCAs and shorter knuckles, the 9s are really close to the p type flares and in the rear, with the same 9s, theyre close, i think the 9.5s would fit perfect.

i havent modded the fronts at all, but i want to hammer and smooth the inside and take out the nuts and studs front and back. the back i have taken the top most nuts out, but i need to remove the other 2 and then fully hammer out the metal, then mod the arch a bit.

that being said, i like how the 9's fit currently.

if bridgestone ever restocks their dang re71r's in 205/50, i want to get a set of those and put them on the 9s and then do some grip racing. (i run a grip racing program here for fun) they would fill the guards really well and since the car has zero power, i would use a lot of the tire. currently waiting for the weather to get better and then ill get an alignment and see where im at with everything.

the old set of of 9.5 and 10.5

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
846 Posts
nice, looks just like mine lol
Your car has definitely been an inspiration to me! I have photos saved on my phone of your car from years ago lol. I'm thinking of stepping the tires up to a bigger size, but it looks so gangster being so low lol.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your car has definitely been an inspiration to me! I have photos saved on my phone of your car from years ago lol. I'm thinking of stepping the tires up to a bigger size, but it looks so gangster being so low lol.
thanks man. if you add sidewall you lose fitment and looks off, what you have is real nice. when building low, you have work arounds, like an oval, high hung exhaust. I can still drive mine without any sort of worry other than misc objects in the road. speed bumps are even ok for the most part. you can always raise it a smidge too if worried. the only weird thing I found was my pan was fine but my oil drain plug, half was missing, I was very confused.

are you scraping a lot?

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
846 Posts
thanks man. if you add sidewall you lose fitment and looks off, what you have is real nice. when building low, you have work arounds, like an oval, high hung exhaust. I can still drive mine without any sort of worry other than misc objects in the road. speed bumps are even ok for the most part. you can always raise it a smidge too if worried. the only weird thing I found was my pan was fine but my oil drain plug, half was missing, I was very confused.

are you scraping a lot?
I don’t scrape constantly, but I definitely don’t think I could clear a speed bump right now. My exhaust is all stock and is definitely the lowest thing on my car lol. Once I get the new motor in, I’ll be routing the exhaust as tucked as possible and hopefully I’ll be ok. I have the T3 aluminum aero plate, so my oil pan has a little protection, and it actually doesn’t seem like it’s in all that much danger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, does anyone have Rota Grid's on their Celica Supra?

I see the grid classic's are available in 15x9, 4x114.3, e-15 to -5/ e+0 (https://www.rotawheels.com/product/grid-classic/), the larger sizes don't seem to be available in 114.3, although I'd have preferred trying to stretch to a 16" wheel.

Or any other similar classic looking six spoke wheels with a bit of a dish out there?

·
Registered
853 Posts
You're pretty close to Compomotive Wheels in England, they'll do custom wheels for you and pricing isn't too bad. I have these:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Check out their MO6 style here:

You'll probably have to call to get a quote for custom size @4x114.3, but you'll be able to get an exact offset you want and width. Its what I did a decade or two ago.

1281 - 1298 of 1298 Posts