Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought My project car and was able to start it and find it has a spun bearing, so i called all of auto part stores napa, autozone, pep boys...you name it i called. All of them said they don't carry them. They also mentioned the manufactur date, which is may 1984. I looked on ebay and there is a machine shop on there that has them but does the date matter? the ones on their didn't say a specific manufacturing date to my knowledge and i wanna order the right ones. So can anyone help please?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the price on them? I looked on your site and didn't find them...i looked at all the engine categories

·
Registered
472 Posts
manufacture date does matter. at least for the rod bearing i know. check with either 935ms or aaron at rabidchimp.com

both should have em in stock. but as scott said, get your crank checked first. just to make sure you get the correct sized bearings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone beat me up if this is incorrect, but I believe that 5MGE main bearings are the same as those used in the 7MGE. I've had good luck with www.thepartsbin.com. Go there and search for W0133-1745083. That part number lists Taiho mains for '84, '85, & '86 Supras (as well as the MX73 Cressidas). As to why the '82-'83 Supra isn't there, I can't say.
Watch out for rod bearings. There was a change of tang orientation after the first years. Best bet is to check your block serial number. I have a set of older ones that I bought before I realized this.

As others have said, make sure your crank is within spec before you spend your bucks. If you need a regrind, make sure you can source thicker shells beforehand as well.

Toyota graded main and rod bearings at the factory. In other words, they measured the crank, block and rods, and fitted bearings of varying thicknesses to hit very precise clearance targets. The codes are stamped onto the crank, rods, and block, but those sub-sized bearing shells are no longer available. So without some very fastidious machine work, it's tough to bring a 5MGE back to factory new. That said, unless your engine is damaged or very worn, it should be possible to get more life out of it with the nominal size bearings.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Guys..the rod bearings for the 82-83 motor are different than those of the later model engines. Do get the correct parts. Dethfrom above. Since yours is an 84, I'd wait until the engine was torn down and assessed before ordering parts. Saves you time by not having to place multiple orders, and ensures you get the proper stuff.
-Aaron

·
Registered
515 Posts
Guys..the rod bearings for the 82-83 motor are different than those of the later model engines. Do get the correct parts. Dethfrom above. Since yours is an 84, I'd wait until the engine was torn down and assessed before ordering parts. Saves you time by not having to place multiple orders, and ensures you get the proper stuff.
-Aaron
I would advise you take this ^^^ route. Aaron has them listed on his site (link to site in his sig) and you won't get screwed like you may on eBay.
"Measure twice and install once"
Don't rush yourself!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Threadjack bitches, J/k. If you need it I have a like new 5m crank (marked 2m). It is the 84+ with bigger oil ports, It only has 70k miles and has never spun one. The crank is boxed and ready to ship, it is flawless (bearing journals are sooo shiny and I also have new rod bearings for it). Open to offers but shipping may be pricey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts